Posted By: angie88 new here - 04-04-2007 08:00 PM
Starting radiation on the 17 and am very scared of side effects.
Posted By: Dragan Re: new here - 04-04-2007 08:32 PM
Angie,
Welcome. I truly understand how scary the prospect of radation and the side effects can be.

It's not without reason; they can be miserable. Radiation affects each person differently, and while the side effects can be potentially difficult, there's no guarantee that they will be .

You will probably not notice much difference in the way you feel for the first couple of weeks. Between week three, and 2 or 3 weeks after the end of rad, things will be more and more unpleasant.

For me, week 5 was when things got really bad. They stayed that way for three weeks after Rx ended ( a total of a month) then, things started to improve.

It's tough, but you can do it. We're here to answer any questions you may have along the way. If you haven't talked to your Doctor about anxiety yet, do so. They can help a great deal
Wayne
Posted By: JAM Re: new here - 04-04-2007 10:35 PM
Hi, Angie, just want to wish you the best of luck with your radiation. It probably won't be an easy thing to get through, and some people have an easier time than others. What is your support system, people who can help you if you need them to? Don't turn down any offers for help smile By the middle of rad tx., you may need to just rest as much as you can and let others do chores, shopping, laundry, etc. Since you don't start until the 17th, I hope you can eat everything you want between now and then.[I don't know what your surgery entailed] Gain some weight if you can. Keep posting so we can send hugs when you need them. Amy in the Oz
Posted By: Andrea Re: new here - 04-05-2007 09:53 AM
Hi Angie, I am just getting over my radiation treatment, so I know how scared you are. You will get through this. It will not be fun, but it is totally necessary, so it must be done. Just remember when you are feeling low, that there IS a light at the end of the tunnel, and things WILL get better.

Much luck,
Andrea
Posted By: gpk101 Re: new here - 04-06-2007 02:22 AM
Welcome, Angie
I can certainly relate to your concerns and fears, and while my experience definately became unpleasant (a bit more quickly than most people seem to experience), there is TREMENDOUS SUPPORT right here! I also found that most of my fears never actually occured-or were not as severe as I was anticipating.
I really found helpful info searching the forum for different specific side-effects and the wonderfully innovative ways some folks have dealt with them. Please don't hesitate to post any and all questions/concerns and/or problems as they occur and I think you'll find you've found a real wealth of info and loving people who truly understand your specific situation.

This site became invaluable to me as my family and friends kept their distance for fear of saying the "wrong thing". God bless these fine folk and I really hope that you take advantage of this wonderful resource.

Much luck and I hope you'll experience a complete healing in time.

Gordon
Posted By: Anne-Marie Re: new here - 04-06-2007 10:15 AM
Angie - So glad you found this site! You will find SO much great information, suggestions, great ideas all wrapped up in compassion and understanding. My son completed treatment in December06 and is doing really well. Don't know what I would have done without OCF and the wonderful people here. If you explore all the links on this site, it may help you with any questions your have for us or your doctors. There is a good discussion of "stages" at: http://www.oralcancerfoundation.org/facts/stages_cancer.htm
Also, if you go to your own "my profile" (top of page) click on "edit profile" and scroll down to "signature", you can add your own info so we can better answer any questions you have. Good luck to you! smile
Posted By: Carol L Re: new here - 04-06-2007 02:55 PM
Welcome Angie, it is scary but you will get through it....we are here for you! Take Care and keep us updated.....Carol
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum