Posted By: ShawnaMargo Wow--good or bad? - 08-31-2005 03:41 PM
Hi! I have been checking the forum every day. My dad has 8 rads to go!!! We are both shocked that with the IMRT both sides of his neck are blistered, weeping and well...very burned! The RAD ONC gave us Silvidine, it feels soothing to him. We have Telfa pads on the sores. The Onc and ENT said: "This is great, can't even feel/see anything anymore". He's tolerating his tube feedings. He is overly exhausted-the ONC wants to go ahead with a full dose of his last chemo next week. I am so tentative about feeling elated that we're almost done, just because of that fear. How long after rad does it take the neck skin to "Heal"?
Curious and almost DONE!!
Posted By: Nelie Re: Wow--good or bad? - 08-31-2005 04:46 PM
I had very inflamed and blistered, although not weeping, skin on my neck when rad finished. I also ended up in the hosptial right after that because I had a very low WBC from the chemo and was running a fever. They ended up thinking the fever was just from all the inflamed skin on the neck. Anyway, they gave me silvadine too and I used it for about 3 or 4 days and it was an amazing change--the skin all peeled off and I was much much better--although I did have some minnor spots that ended up peeling a second time a little later.

The skin healing was the first sign of healing I had. So cheer up and hang in there. It does heal quickly in my experience anyway.
Posted By: Barb Re: Wow--good or bad? - 08-31-2005 09:53 PM
My first good thing was that my skin healed so fast. In two weeks other than being red it felt fine. I did use the Biafine and the Vigilon pads after treatments for around a week.

My throat is still tender inside but its nothing compared to a month ago. I am happy for you that your Dad is almost done. Sending good wishes his way. smile

Blessings,
Barb~
Posted By: ShawnaMargo Re: Wow--good or bad? - 09-01-2005 12:41 AM
Thanks mucho--Barb, I have been thinking about YOU, I remember those old posts. So glad it's healing for you!
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum