Posted By: larryfb its a stretch - 07-24-2003 08:05 PM
hi folks,

i suppose that my recent treatment is due to an after effect of radiation some 20 months ago. all is well, yet...

i still have problems swallowing because my upper esophagus seems to have some shrinkage (scaring?) that keeps the opening just below my adams apple to the size of a small pea. so soft-foods well chewed are fine, but salads and steaks are a no go.

i choose to wait for my throat to heal from swelling and for muscles to rebuild.. now its time to attach the beast with the ballon stretch proceedure.

that was done 2 days ago and i immediately could feel that the hole has been enlarged... by about 50%. the pain on the first day called for medication, but day 2 no meds were needed.

now i'm eating and drinking better and my adams apple seems to move more freely. the doc says do it again in 6 weeks... and repeat until we are satisfied.

it took awhile for me, but the schedule suits me. this is a rather simple proceedure that has a very low risk of complications... however i was reading a book by Bernie Siegel this past weekend. near the end he talks of a fellow having this proceedure who burst an artery and bleed out. that started to get my mind working! Imagine reading an up beat book and finding a case like that, but i went with the flow and all is fine...

cu,
larryb cool
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum