Posted By: NonaChris Gabipentin (probably misspelled) - 10-29-2020 10:38 AM
I had my surgery to remove about a quarter size tumor from the right side of my tongue this past Friday, October 23. A day ahead of my 61st birthday. The doctor said he got all the cancer and I agreed to wait for pathology report to decide on neck dissection. It means more anesthesia and more of everything but the doctor felt it the right plan since I had neck radiated 9 years ago for my first go round with BOT, throat cancer. I did not have surgery at that time. Chemo and radiation was the course of treatment.

My question, has anyone been prescribed Gabipentin for pain? I had a list of side effects which I did not even concern myself with until I was getting alerts from my device that my heart rate was 107, 104, 98, etc. I called the triage nurse and requested input as to how I should proceed -stop taking it, take it??
Curious since this drug is totally new to me and usually my body tolerates without incident.
Thanks!
Nona Chris
Posted By: Paan Re: Gabipentin (probably misspelled) - 10-31-2020 09:04 AM
Hello Chris I was on gabapentin while I was in hospital after my surgery to remove part of my tongue I had neck dissection also it was for nerve pain,but they gave me that only while I was in hospital they sent me home with oxycodone which I took only for one week after that I was taking over the counter but I am guessing it depends on level of your pain I had no side effects but maybe I was on lot of other pain meds,sorry I may not be of much help in answering your question.
Posted By: NonaChris Re: Gabipentin (probably misspelled) - 10-31-2020 04:19 PM
I appreciate your taking the time to respond. I am surprised I was sent home with it. It seemed to be protocol. I was feeling the effects of the anesthesia wearing off and did not really appreciate what was developing for me. I had an understanding that I should take the Gabapentin every 8 hours...regardless. Of course, I did stop especially when I determined I was experiencing negative side effects. I think the overall attention given to my discharge was fair to poor and perhaps the explanation for the meds was not given the detail they deserved. I now understand it is in the narc category.
How long ago was your surgery?
Please be well!
Nona Chris
Posted By: gmcraft Re: Gabipentin (probably misspelled) - 10-31-2020 11:06 PM
When my husband was given Gabapentin, the first thing the doctor did was to give us a schedule for stepping down. Apparently the patient is not supposed to just go cold turkey. It did not work for my husband at all. He did better on codeine. I would suggest you call your doctor or the nurse practitioner and ask them if it’s okay for you to stop.
Posted By: NonaChris Re: Gabipentin (probably misspelled) - 11-01-2020 08:52 PM
I did call the triage number and the doctor was contacted. The doctor gave me the all clear to stop. There was no explanation about a schedule or stepping down from the dosage. It was more like take the tylenol every 6 hours, take the Gabapentin every 8 hours and if you have a number between 7-10 for pain then use the oxycodone. I have it written down on a sheet the nurse gave me before I was discharged.
Thanks for your insight. I will have questions for my post op this week.
So many different version of the same situation.
Warm Regards,
Nona Chris
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum