Posted By: Kevster Here i go - 03-25-2020 05:37 AM
First radiation treatment tomorrow (side of tongue and both sides of neck). Six weeks.Have read a lot of people’s experiences here, and I know that everyone’s body responds differently - the unpredictability is annoying. Anyways, just wanted to say how helpful I find this forum to be, how kind everyone is, and what a great source of advice Christine has been. No choice but to plow ahead and remind myself that in a coupe of months it will be over with. I’ve been very lucky to have avoided a flap in surgery, to have avoided chemo, and to have a good prognosis, so trying to be thankful and appreciative also.
Posted By: DavidUofMsavedMe Re: Here i go - 03-25-2020 03:29 PM
Keep that positive attitude & you got this. Yes, there will be pain and discomfort. Keep your Oncologist informed (I met with mine once per week) throughout your treatment, as they can prescribe everything you'll need to get through. Before long, you'll be ringing that bell and on your way to recovery. Try your hardest to maintain a steady intake of fluids and calories everyday. Eat what you want while you can.
Posted By: Kevster Re: Here i go - 03-26-2020 05:36 AM
Thanks for the reply. Good to hear from people who have been through it
Posted By: Kevster Re: Here i go - 04-16-2020 04:19 AM
Halfway mark comes tomorrow and things seem to be looking up. Sudden swelling of the back of tongue had been causing excruciating pain every time i swallowed as the tongue scrapes the sores on the roof of the mouth back there every time I swallow. But swelling has gone down a lot since I took oral steroid treatment. And finally got right painkillers. Three times a day I take the magic mouthwash and guzzle high calorie shakes. My taste - at least sweetness - has not faded much, which has made me lucky. Hope the luck lasts! I was super fortunate not to need chemo. Thanks to all on the forum.
Posted By: CynthiaD Re: Here i go - 04-16-2020 07:30 PM
My boyfriend is about where you are with radiation -- 3 weeks at the end of this week. He is in agony. His tongue is swollen and very painful. I am wondering what kind of oral steroids you are taking?

He is taking 7 gabopentin pills a day for pain, but he still seems to be in a lot of pain. He is also very tired all the time, which I am attributing to the gabo (but don't really know).

I am frustrated that he seems not to be getting a lot of attention from his doctors. His radiologist calls once a week but does not suggest anything.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum