Posted By: KD715 Best water bottle during radiation? - 03-22-2020 08:07 PM
Hi All! I’m new here and my husband is starting radiation/cisplatin tomorrow and he was told that he needs to drink 2.5 to 3 liters of water a day to flush his system out. I want to get him a big water bottle but I’m just wondering what kind of top would be best for him to drink from? I know radiation will bring all types of issues with his eating and drinking, so will it be easier for him to drink from a straw or just an open top? Thanks so much!
Posted By: gmcraft Re: Best water bottle during radiation? - 03-22-2020 09:44 PM
My husband used a stainless steel reusable straw that I got from amazon.com. It worked well enough.
Make sure it is okay to use a straw before doing so. It would depend upon what type of oral cancer your husband has. For example, as a tongue cancer patient, I wasn't allowed to use straws right away because it could potentially affect the sutures on my tongue.

As for a water bottle, I use a stainless steel canteen that holds 24 ounces, which is good for sipping on as needed. However, I don't feel I can get enough fluids during the day when using the canteen alone. That's why I prefer to use a glass/cup during the day to drink.
Posted By: KD715 Re: Best water bottle during radiation? - 03-23-2020 09:40 PM
Thank you both for your recommendations! I guess we will have to see what will work best as we go along.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum