Posted By: Paan Lemphedema - 12-01-2019 10:49 PM
Hi,I have a question about fluid build up on my neck area where I had neck incision for tongue surgery currently I go to hospital 2 times a week for message,my question is I am starting radiation tommorrow, will this lemphedema get worse and will message help and will it be permanent issue after treatment thankyou.
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Lemphedema - 12-02-2019 12:36 PM
Hi Paan! The best place to answer the specific question about the swelling you have after your surgery would be someone from your own medical team. The radiation oncologist should be experienced in treating patients who have post surgical inflammation when they start rads. They've had years of specialized medical education, clinical patient experience, etc. That type of doc also has your full medical history, can give you a thorough examination, and ask you clarifying questions.

Im very sorry!!! I wish we could answer your question but we simply are not qualified. OCF's members are not medical professionals. We are fellow OC patients/survivors and caregivers who are not qualified to give you anything other than a guess. Every patient is different, what one may find works another might not find helpful at all. Side and/or after effects from having surgery can vary greatly patient to patient. Hopefully the swelling will go down soon.

Best wishes with starting rads!!! Focus on whats within your control. Pay close attention to your intake to be at least 2500 calories and 48-64 oz of water, every single day.

Good luck!!!
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum