(Squamous cell carcinoma HPV+ Base of Tongue and 1 lymph-node, surgery 7 weeks ago, no margins). Non-smoker, just started radiation

I've just started 30 days of radiation. I have been told that the focus of my radiation will be on where the cancer was (on the base of my tongue and the area on my neck where I had my one cancer-fill lymph-node surgically removed), AND, they are also going to radiate both healthy sides of my neck where there never was cancer "just to make sure we pick up any stray cells"

So... here are my rad "doses" - I am wondering what folks who have been through this, or are in the know about radiation, think about these numbers:

Base of Tongue (where cancer was, clean margins now) - 60 Gy
Neck - (area where cancerous lymph-node was remove) - 60 Gy
A lot of my neck on left and right side where there was not cancer - 54 Gy

I welcome any and all comments. Thank you!

-Mark

Posted By: PaulB Re: Radiation Gy (grey) levels - How are mine? - 05-08-2019 03:59 PM
Hi Mark,

It seems about right after surgery. They would go to 72Gy, 7 weeks, without surgery or prior radiation, lesser in some trials. I had tonsil with lymph node (2) metasteses, but due to recurrences (6), i was able to do more treatments, radiation and surgeries, and now cancer free, which is more unusual than most.

They usually give the primary the highest radiation, and the effected lymph nodes, The other side and unenvolved nodes get lesser. I had bilateral also. Yours may be on the border to easily matestsizesize or large enough, and number wise where it can metastesise.
Thank you Paul! If anyone else has thoughts/opinions on the numbers I shared, I would really like to hear them. Thank you! Mark
Posted By: ConnieT Re: Radiation Gy (grey) levels - How are mine? - 05-15-2019 02:04 AM
I wish I understood those numbers! I just know my husband was told he was given a lifetime of radiation.
On the main OCF website theres tons of info about anything/everything to do with OC. In OCFs Understanding section theres so much info, its not just hours of reading... theres DAYS of reading material thats correct, informative, up to date info. Sub-sections on reirratation, radiation exposure levels, and a detailed comparison of radiation types are just a few of the topics featured in the Radiation sub-section of OCFs Understanding section. Below, Ive included a link to OCFs main site for the Radiation info which will be helpful in everyone better understanding of rads....

Main OCF Site, Understanding section, Radiation sub-section
Posted By: ConnieT Re: Radiation Gy (grey) levels - How are mine? - 05-15-2019 08:23 PM
I'm still confused! others list numbers like 60 Gy, 70, etc. What i read for my husband said 7000 Gy. that doesn't even make sense compared to others. oh well. i will do more reading.
Posted By: PaulB Re: Radiation Gy (grey) levels - How are mine? - 05-15-2019 11:49 PM
It’s probably 7000 cGY, which equals 70Grays converted. I don’t know why the conversion, but have seen both. Maybe cGY on radiation reports, which name I forget. You may find radiation very complex as it is for me and many others.

Also, there is no max lifetime radiation dosage. Maybe whole body in one day over a maximum Gray. I thought I heard 100? There are maximum dosage for certain structures before toxicitie limits, but their pushing radiation, and other areas more, if they can. I had total dose of 210Gray to my left neck, but not without some issues like ORN, Brachial Plexopathy to my left radiated neck, if it’s related to that. I had a jaw replacement and left arm complete paralysis, but was worth it to be cancer free.
Posted By: ConnieT Re: Radiation Gy (grey) levels - How are mine? - 05-16-2019 05:49 AM
thanks Paul. that makes more sense. They said they could not give him radiation in the same area of the previous cancer. He had had too much and after a couple of scares the past few months, it was concerning.

Haha but what do I know? pretty much what I've learned here! I haven't been to all of the doctor appts.
Posted By: PaulB Re: Radiation Gy (grey) levels - How are mine? - 05-16-2019 02:38 PM
Hi Connie,

Sometimes that’s true that no more radiation (Grays) can be fitted in for various reasons. You also need to have a doctor, radiologist, that is exierienced giving more radiation. I guess I was lucky with both parts.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum