Posted By: larry6905 Extreme constant ear pain - 11-23-2014 02:23 PM
I've had treatment for a with both rad and chemo for bot. The worse pain is in my ear. It is constant and intense. A dr said it's pressure from tumor, though he did not look at it.
I suspect this is an ear infection going on at same time of treatment. I also have thick yellow Phlem which makes me think this.
The ear pain is more intense than any other resulting pain from treatment.
Has anyone else have this, am I alone. Any suggestions for relief.
I am still able to swallow, I haven't had to use my peg yet. Although my throat is very sore the pain doesn't compare to the ear pain.
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Extreme constant ear pain - 11-23-2014 04:12 PM
If you are in pain, ask for pain meds. It is detrimental to a patient to hurt. If you already have pain meds and they arent working then talk to your doc to up the strength or give you something that will manage your pain.

Posted By: sweetpe1 Re: Extreme constant ear pain - 11-23-2014 05:06 PM
Larry

Call your doctor to up the pain meds. It could be an infection but my guess its probably from the cancer. My mother suffers with sever pain in her ear also and its from the cancer. I had the call her doctor because she was taking Norco but it wasn't strong enough. Her doctor ordered Oxycotin along with the Norco. Also you can ask for the pain patch that may help you also.

As for the flem I know that is horrible also. It's also bad with my mom to. You can rinse your mouth with baking soda & salt or there is a prescription called Magic Mouth Wash. Call your doctor to order that if you don't have it yet. Nothing really makes it go away but you get some relief.

Get well soon and stay positive
Heidi
Posted By: tamvonk Re: Extreme constant ear pain - 11-24-2014 04:30 AM
The main presenting symptom for Kris was the extreme ear pain associated with his BOT cancer. So I think I agree with your doc that it is pressure from the tumour. If you had an ear infection I would expect you to have a temperature and a purulent/pussy discharge from the ear canal.
Listen to Christine. Get some pain meds from your doc.
Hope you feel relief soon.
Tammy
Posted By: larry6905 Re: Extreme constant ear pain - 11-25-2014 08:39 PM
Where is the best place to place patch?
Posted By: tamvonk Re: Extreme constant ear pain - 11-26-2014 12:36 AM
Hi Larry, anyplace on the upper body will be ok. Try the top third of your arms, under the collarbones/top of the chest, or on your back at the top . Rotating the sites whenever you change the patch is also a good idea.
Tammy
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Extreme constant ear pain - 11-26-2014 01:56 AM
Always put the patch on a new spot whenever you put a new one on. I would alternate between upper arms, upper legs and the sides of my stomach.
Posted By: Kreale Re: Extreme constant ear pain - 11-26-2014 04:10 AM
Hi Larry,

By husband also had ear pain with tonsil/bot HPV+ SCC at time of dignosis. Ear pain went away when treatment started (RAD and chemo). He's post treatment about a month and ear pain is back, along with intense jabbing pain at site of mouth ulcer. Doc scoped him and thinks the ulcer is infected (causing swelling and thus ear pain). Has taken antiboitics for 1 day and already the ear pain has gone away. Explore the possibility of infection.....
Posted By: PaulB Re: Extreme constant ear pain - 11-26-2014 04:58 PM
I had ear pain also from a cancerous lymph node, level ll, before starting radiation treatment, which was eventually controlled by the pain meds, and few weeks of radiation. Anytime there is pain or continued pain, doctors like to know. I also liked to put the Fetynal patch on my upper chest or shoulder area, with the date marked on it, so I could see it better, not double dose, know when to replace it. Follow prescribing precautions, discarding. These can easily be picked up by pets, or even stepped on after discarding if not careful.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum