Posted By: Pam M PEG Options - 12-24-2009 05:18 AM
Wow - PEG being placed early Christmas Eve. I'm very nervous now, and can't relax. Have read here that lots of people here think bolus syringe not the preferred feeding method - gravity and pump preferred. When I asked my nutritionist about it today, was told syringe would be recommended for me. Has anyone had experience with more than one method? Can't believe I'm this nervous about a "routine" procedure. Merry Christmas
Posted By: Watt Re: PEG Options - 12-24-2009 10:42 PM
Pam,

Any procedure is nerve racking when you don't know what to expect. My husband did bolus syringe and gravity feedings. Both worked. The syringe feedings at times were difficult b/c it caused him to be a bit nauseated. The gravity feeding was much slower and he tolerated it better. In the middle of treatment he would use the gravity feeding in bed or while he watched T.V. For my husband, the PEG really helped. We used it to hydrate at night while he slept when he was having a hard time getting fluids down orally. I would get the syringe and also have the gravity bags available to use. You'll know by trying it out which method of feeding is best for you. We didn't use the pump although they provided us with it.

Best wishes for the holidays and we wish the best for you.

Vanessa
Posted By: Watt Re: PEG Options - 12-24-2009 10:44 PM
Pam,

I forgot to say that you will have a syringe no matter what since you have to clean out your PEG tube with water using the syringe after each feeding.
Posted By: ChristineB Re: PEG Options - 12-25-2009 03:18 AM

Best wishes for a smooth procedure. It may be sore for a day or two after.

I was someone who had to use the pump. Make sure you ask for it. The bolus and gravity methods of feeding didnt work at all for me. They both made me nauseous.

As Jeff said, you will need syringes to flush the tube. It must be flushed at least once daily. I use my peg to take meds and flush it good afterwards. Thats one bonus to having a peg tube, dont force pills down a sore throat.

Happy Holidays smile
Posted By: Watt Re: PEG Options - 12-25-2009 11:24 AM
Pam, One other important thought. Although the doctors have hopefully emphasized , you must keep swallowing when using the PEG.
Jeff kept water by his side at all times. Food or liquid even It will be easy to want to only use the PEG but even if it hard to swallow it is important to keep doing so even if it is just sips of water.

As Christine mentions. It is great for meds and not having to force pills down a very sore throat and mouth.

Vanessa
Posted By: debandbill Re: PEG Options - 12-26-2009 03:56 PM
A good way to make sure that the patient is swallowing each day is to put a bottle of water or Gatorade by the favorite chair or bedside and "suggest, push, prod, force, etc." the patient to finish it by the end of day. That way you have a good measurement of how often he/she swallows each day. I had a good compliant patient in Bill but even so, it was very painful for him to do this....but, so important. It paid off as he was eating and drinking by mouth within a week of finishing treatments. (YMMV)

Deb
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum