Posted By: Babsdaughter Any experience with Taxol? - 07-30-2009 03:44 PM
Hello all,

I would like to know if anybody has experience with Taxol in treating SCC. We've had to push my mom's oncologist to offer up some options for her fight with this disease. Mom has been with this oncologist since her struggle with breast cancer years ago and he is reluctant to put her through anything else. She wants to continue to explore her options. He mentioned Taxol as an option because she has used it in the past to treat her breast cancer and did not have adverse reactions.

Lesley

PS: For the oral cancer, mom has gone through mandibulectomy, radiation and Erbutix.

Posted By: caanjo Re: Any experience with Taxol? - 07-30-2009 06:10 PM
My husband was treated with Cysplatin and Taxol, last treatment 5/8, Pet scan scheduled for 8/3.
Posted By: debandbill Re: Any experience with Taxol? - 07-30-2009 07:22 PM
same here...Cis and Taxol.

Posted By: ESikon Re: Any experience with Taxol? - 07-30-2009 11:24 PM
I had Carbo/Taxol and will get cisplatin with rads although I don;t have SCC but MEC. Best of luck!
Posted By: Babsdaughter Re: Any experience with Taxol? - 07-31-2009 01:14 PM
Thanks for the responses everyone. I wanted to see if Taxol was used for oral cancers.
Posted By: TomT Re: Any experience with Taxol? - 08-03-2009 02:54 AM
Hi Lesley, on the first go round my wife was treated with seven doses of carboplatin and taxol and had no problems tolerating it. Didn't have much in the way of side effects and did not lose her hair. Unfortunately it did not keep the cancer from spreading but at the time, they didn't think she was strong enough to tolerate the harsher chemos.

Best of luck and will keep your mom in our thoughts.
Posted By: jrch26 Re: Any experience with Taxol? - 08-03-2009 01:17 PM
My mom went through a few rounds of taxol/erbitux. She tolerated it okay. Her hair started to thin and on her third infusion she had a mild reaction which the nurses said was normal.
Posted By: sobradley Re: Any experience with Taxol? - 08-04-2009 12:55 AM
For my recurrence I started out on a mix of Cisplatin, Taxol, and 5FU. I had to switch chemos after a few treatments because I developed SMA (totally unrelated but with it the chemo was too much). I did fine on it until the SMA complications. Now I'm on Cis and Erbitux. I lost my hair with the Taxol at about 2 weeks, other than that I was fine. and I was getting it every three weeks at the time. Now I go every week for the Cis/ Erbitux.
Posted By: August Re: Any experience with Taxol? - 08-04-2009 05:11 AM
Hi, Stephanie! I'm glad to "find" you again, but I'm sorry to hear of your recurrence. I've been irregular with checking the forum lately, and I'm now trying to catch up with everybody. Did you get your latest treatments in BR or in Tulsa? I hope all is going ok now!! XO--Colleen (Alexandria, LA)
Posted By: sobradley Re: Any experience with Taxol? - 08-04-2009 06:20 PM
Hey Colleen! I'm still in BR. We will be here for a few more months and I may be here longer depending on treatment and stuff and where I am at when our job ends down here. I am responding well to treatment so I hope that continues!
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum