Posted By: con Dizzy from chemo meds - 03-15-2008 11:49 AM
I had my first chemo last Monday, on March 10th. All went well until yesterday, ( Friday ) I went to work and became so dizy I had to come home. Very dizzy all day, stopped taking everything and so far no nausea and dizzyness going away. Anyone -- can you give me some insight on this. Taking, Decodron, Zofran, Bendryl, Compazine, Ativan, Tagamet, and Prozac. Feel like I can't think straight and I really want to go back to work.
Thanks
Posted By: davidcpa Re: Dizzy from chemo meds - 03-15-2008 05:39 PM
con,

I got dizzy just reading all the meds you're taking. Seems like a lot. Does your doctor(s) know about all if these?
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Dizzy from chemo meds - 03-15-2008 06:58 PM

I also took most of those same meds. The only one I had any trouble with was compazine. It made me dizzy and I couldnt sit still.
Posted By: con Re: Dizzy from chemo meds - 03-15-2008 06:58 PM
Yes, the chemo Dr. is the one who perscribed all of them and some of them 2 times a day. But today I have not taken a one and feel so much better. I had a couple of cups of peppermint tea and have had no nausea what so ever. Sounds like a lot to me also expecially if I am not experiencing nausea. I see him on Monday so will discuss with him. Thanks for the input.
Con
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Dizzy from chemo meds - 03-15-2008 06:59 PM
Also, watch out for nausea. Alot of those meds need to be taken before the nausea kicks in.
Posted By: con Re: Dizzy from chemo meds - 03-15-2008 07:01 PM
Christine: Did you take the ativan? I am thinking that was what made me so dizzy. Things are better now. Thanks
Posted By: Me2 Re: Dizzy from chemo meds - 03-15-2008 07:48 PM
Con - you do need to talk with your dr about the meds - stopping all of them might not be the best thing as each one is prescribed for a different reason, and you might be causing some other negative effects by doing that. But he should know about the dizziness and figure out how to control that...
Posted By: Pandora99 Re: Dizzy from chemo meds - 03-16-2008 12:55 AM
Con: I had terrible dizzy spells which actually included fainting a few times. After one fainting spell where I fainted & hit my forehead on the vanity in the bathroom, I ended up with a black eye that lasted a month!

Apparently the Cisplatin had lowered my blood pressure and that was the source of my dizziness. I was told to eliminate my blood pressure medication and felt much better when i did that. A few weeks post chemo I gradually re-introduced my b.p. meds.

I ended up taking 2 steps away from a chair and 2 steps back towards it before going anywhere just to be sure I wouldn't faint. Be careful - we don't want to hear that you ended up with a shiner like mine!

Donna
Posted By: con Re: Dizzy from chemo meds - 03-18-2008 11:28 AM
Well I did end up with a small shinner. I just quit taking the Antivan. They had me on it 4 times a day. And I am taking BP meds so maybe my blood pressure shot down to. I did tell the Dr. I was not taking the Antivan and he said ok, maybe just one at night. I had my second chemo yesterday and I feel great. Probably could go to work today but want to run some errands. Thanks so much to all of you for your help. I wish I had known about this 8 years ago on my first time around.
Posted By: con Re: Dizzy from chemo meds - 03-22-2008 05:42 PM
Pandora: After my dr. visit yesterday, he told me the same thing. No more BP Meds while I am on chemo. I've been taking it about 3 times a day and it is running pretty low, he said that yes sometimes the cisplatin will lower it. Boy -- thanks so much, it could have taken me and the dr. weeks to discover that. I am feeling pretty good today. Sat. - went to work and gots lots done.
God Bless You All
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum