Posted By: emmylou1951 Zenker's anyone??? - 08-24-2007 07:32 PM
Hi All: Thanks again for all your input! We sincerely appreciate EVERY POST.

Buzz and I spent the day at Baptist Hospital with one of the surgeons who performed his neck dissection. He thinks Buzz is doing great, except for a couple of areas of concern.

The incision site on his hip, although completely healed, appears to have 'fluid', and is a little feverish. Keflex was prescribed for that.

As you know, Buzz is scheduled for PEG tub insertion on Monday. That could be a problem. I had forgotten that Dr. Sullivan found that Buzz has Zenkers Diverticulum, while trying unsuccessfully to replace the NG tube that dislodged following surgery. Buzz had to be taken to radiology for re-placement.

When Dr. Sullivan learned about the PEG tube placement, he was extremely concerned, and insisted that Buzz NOT be intubated, and his jaw not be manipulated in any way.

As it stands, Dr. Sullivan will talk via telephone tomorrow with the General Surgeon, and together they will decide if the use of a bronchoscopy will suffice with no complications.

Dr. Sullivan states that Buzz' flap looks 'beautiful', and I can understand why he would not want to do anything to compromise Buzz' recuperation.

Dr. S also mentioned the possibility of a "mini lap G Tube", instead of the PEG. I was too overwhelmed at that point to even ask intelligent questions, so I'll leave it for the two surgeons to decide tomorrow.

Is there anyone here who has Zenkers?
Is there anyone here who has the mini lap G Tube?

Tomorrow we spend the day at VAMC rehab...joy...I'm EXHAUSTED and I'm sure Buzz is!

--------------------
CG to 76 y/o hubby;06/06/07:Stage IV-A mandible SCC; 30+ yrs cigar smoker-quit 10 yrs ago; 30+ yrs: 1 beer/day; Wake Forest Baptist Hosp surgery: 07/19/07; bi resection PEG 08/27/07
T2 N2-B M0
30 IMRT+5-6 Paclitaxel/Carboplatin asap

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posts: 116 | From: Central North Carolina, USA | Registered: Jun 2007 | IP: Logged
Posted By: emmylou1951 Re: Zenker's anyone??? - 08-26-2007 04:20 PM
Guess no one else has had to deal with Zenkers, and I'm glad for that!

Getting PEG tube inserted tomorrow morning, then mask fitting and CT scan.

Please remember us in your prayers tomorrow!

Lois & Buzz in NC
Posted By: billy.calcutt Re: Zenker's anyone??? - 08-26-2007 05:15 PM
You and Buzz will be in our thoughts and prayers Lois.
Posted By: Lostpassword Re: Zenker's anyone??? - 08-26-2007 08:23 PM
Lois and Buzz -
Putting you both on the speed dial to heaven - I wish you both nothing but good news thruout these next steps. Please keep us updated. God bless. JaneP.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum