Posted By: zzhallk Proton Beam for Tongue SCC advice please!! - 08-20-2020 09:39 PM
Hiya. Apols if this has been covered but brand new and need advice asap. Have had hemiglossectomy and neck dissection for stage 3 SCC tongue. MDT recommend radio and cisplatin x 6 weeks. I'm in the UK, aged 41. Started to look online and seems proton beam is fairly standard in the US...it's available via 1 private company in the UK who have links with Pennsylvia. Not sure whether to go for it...I know the pros but there's limited evidence all in all...but then that's the case for a lot of cancer stuff and it looks like the direction of travel. Anyone any thoughts? Am canvassing medical opinion in UK too.
Posted By: ConnieT Re: Proton Beam for Tongue SCC advice please!! - 08-23-2020 03:23 AM
my husband had proton therapy for his second round of cancer. he will have tests next month to see if it was effective.

It is not widely used in the US and it's hard to get insurance to pay for it. He went to Mayo clinic.

best wishes
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum