Posted By: Kevster Advice on coping mentally? - 03-07-2020 05:15 AM
Hi. I’m starting radiation on side of tongue and neck in the next couple of weeks. Had my partial glossectomy and neck dissection three weeks ago. I’m actually more nervous about radiation than I was about the surgery. The radiation oncologist told me that “attitude is everything” when it comes to coping, and I agree. Any advice/techniques for pushing through this mentally? At this point, I’m trying to take it one day at a time and reminding myself that the side effects are temporary. I worry that I will get bogged down in negativity.
Posted By: MST Re: Advice on coping mentally? - 03-07-2020 09:56 AM
One day at a time is the way to go. No matter how crappy you feel, and apparently some people don't feel too bad, just remember you can do this. It will come to an end. When I was 2/3 of the way through and hurting my radiation oncologist told me "hey you are almost there it will be done before you know it".

Find something to distract you during the remainder of the day. I was able to telework part-time which helped a lot. Sleep and get your nourishment as that is critical to being able to maintain a healthy mental state. Try and minimize the pain from the mouth sores. Viscous lidocaine, glutamine - I used a product called Healios which worked well. Remember that if you are in pain it will negatively impact you mentally.

Take advantage of days where you feel good. Enjoy your weekends if you are on the 5 day a week schedule.
Posted By: muddyb00ts Re: Advice on coping mentally? - 03-07-2020 08:10 PM
Keep lightly active and participate in whatever activities make you happy as long as you can. I'm a hiker and outdoors person. I did light hikes and kayaking and exploring up until my energy faded and still, if I have enough energy and have enough calories in (a motivater in itself) I go for a walk or walk the beach a little when I can to remind myself that all that stuff is still there waiting for me when I feel better.

(I'm on day 4 post rads after 2 partial glossectomies and neck dissection.)

Erica
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum