Posted By: Micki Chemo and Radiation begins next week - 02-11-2020 10:59 AM
After many conversations with doctors, my partner has decided to go with the chemotherapy treatment along with the radiation. That all begins next week. He's a very tough guy and will come through it fine, but in the meantime, what can I do to help him? I will make sure he is getting lots of fluids to protect his kidneys and of course, take him to treatment when he can't drive himself, but what about daily care? I know what the doctors says but I am interested in what folks who have been through it have to say. What can we expect the next 6 weeks and after? Thanks for any and all suggestions

Micki
Posted By: gmcraft Re: Chemo and Radiation begins next week - 02-11-2020 06:02 PM
The very first thing you can do with him is to eat all his favourite foods as after chem and radiations, it will take a while for food to taste the same. There will be taste changes — my husband who loved jello couldn’t have any because it tasted metallic. The same happened to coffee. The mouth sores that come from radiation will make eating tough for a while.

The other thing which I did was to create a little corner in the sitting room where he could doze and watch TV. I put the stuff that he might need, e.g. water, moisturizing lotion, tissues, next to the chair so that he wouldn’t be tempted to stay in bed all day. The patient gets very tired after radiation and some might just prefer not to get up at all, but that’s no good. They should move around.

Chemo and radiation take a lot out of the patient. My husband was very strong and tough as well and he resented being reduced to relying on others’ help. I would suggest a very good chat with him prior to treatment starting so that he would at least know what to expect.

You might also consider having a humidifier in the bedroom for the dry mouth and maybe a Waterpik for the gunk that develops as a result of radiation.

I would strongly suggest that you read as much of the patients’/caregivers’ posts on the forum as you can so you would know what might happen.
Posted By: Micki Re: Chemo and Radiation begins next week - 02-16-2020 02:41 PM
Thanks Gloria, great suggestions. He’s limited to what he can eat since he’s unable to use his dentures. Taking things as they come but preparing as best we can. I work full time which will make things a bit more interesting.
Posted By: Micki Re: Chemo and Radiation begins next week - 03-07-2020 04:35 PM
Now 3 weeks into rads and chemo. No nausea, thank goodness, but throat is sore and tight making swallowing hard. Keeping up with liquids and ensure/boost. His beard is thinning as well. I must say he has the best attitude through this. Any recommendations to ease his throat?
Thanks!
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum