Posted By: anniesmom Problems sleeping - 11-13-2019 01:03 AM
My mom has had trouble sleeping over the past few weeks. Im not sure if its pain related or more restlessness that keeps her awake. She is on several medications, but looking to see if anyone has had particular success to help with sleeplessness.
Posted By: gmcraft Re: Problems sleeping - 11-13-2019 05:07 PM
My husband was prescribed lorazepam for sleep when he was in treatment and after.

Personally, I used meditation and listen to calming music. These stop my thoughts from swirling around and making me anxious.
Posted By: PaulB Re: Problems sleeping - 11-13-2019 06:04 PM
Anniesmom,

I started having sleep problems after being diagnosed with oropharyngeal cancer, and going through some treatment in 2009/10. I was given ambian to take in the hospital, which seemed to work, but I’ve been taking it since except currently. Now I’m in a nursing rehab center for a fractured hip, and take pain meds for my leg, which makes me tired, so I cut out the sleep meds. I do wake up once a night, but go right back to sleep most often.

There’s an otc vitamin, forget the name, I take sometimes when I run out of ambian, but it knocks me out even more than the prescription meds.

I hope this helps
Posted By: CM57 Re: Problems sleeping - 11-13-2019 08:12 PM
Anniesmom,
A few OTC supplements I use for sleep aid are Melatonin and 5-HTP. I don't take them together, just one or the other.
Also, I just wanted to mention to everyone to do your own research if you are combining anxiety meds with sleep meds. There is a combination that could cause serious side effects, which happened to my 89 year old father. He was on a sleep aid, I think Ambian, and was OK with it. He went on a anxiety medication due to being unruly at the assisted living place, and had these random fainting / seizure episodes. I'm not certain what the antidepressant was, so I don't want to mention a guess. But make certain to ask your doctor about what med combinations can cause seizures, including herbal supplements.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum