Posted By: Charly1 Throat dilation - 07-11-2019 03:38 AM
Has anyone out there had their throat dilated? I will be having that procedure done this Friday, and I'm curious to know how successful the procedure was for you and if you've had to have it done more than once.

Thanks!
Posted By: Carmel59 Re: Throat dilation - 07-11-2019 06:54 AM
Hi, I had this done about 5 weeks ago following 2 years of increasing swallowing difficulties. I didn't have to have radiation and i always thought it was due to scar tissue after the tracheostomy. Anyway, for me it's been a massive improvement, and I can eat normally again, drink normally and swallow tablets. It took about 5 days for my throat to start feeling better, as it was quite sore following the dilatation. I may have to have it done again in future but I wouldnt hesitate. Hope this helps ...all the best for Friday!
Posted By: PaulB Re: Throat dilation - 07-11-2019 02:27 PM
Carmel59,

I’ve had throat dilations for a few years now done by my Gastro doctor. Usually while doing that, at some point, he takes a biopsy of the stomach area of the Barrets Esphogus, which I need to check once a year as a few cases can progress to cancer.

It’s not for everyone, as I read, but my dr is pretty good, except when I awoke once from sedation with a tube down my throat, they just gave me more sedation.

Good luck
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum