Hi All, now being treated at MD Anderson for stage 1-2 oropharyngeal CA. Getting proton and Erbitux. Got really sick after the loading dose of Erbitux and ended up in the ER. Got stabilized and put on dexamethasone for 3 days to get rid of the mega headache. Now the rash is coming on strong only 6 days post dose. I've been moisturizing, drinking tons of water, clindamycin lotion and just started doxycyclin. Does anyone have any tips to reduce the rash or make it less itchy, noticeable or anything to make it more tolerable? Thanks for your help.
Im sorry I havent had erbitux. Hopefully someone who went thru it will check in soon.

From what I understand about erbitux, the more of a rash the patient gets the better its working. It sounds very uncomfortable to me. Would benedryl work to help control the itching? Be careful, you dont want to get too dried out from using it so check with your doc. Stay in air conditioning so you arent outside in the heat, sweating would probably make it worse.

Good luck!!!
I had Erbitux in 2012, along with Taxotere, which wasn't fun, but was doable, although my skin rash wasn't that bad, some of the other side effects were. Other than reducing the dosage or stopping treatment, a few things were suggested or prescribed pretty much what you're already doing, but instead had Minocycline for the rash, and decadron infusions for the Taxotere, so maybe it helped with the Erbitux. I was also given benadryl infusions with each weekly dose of Erbitux, Tylenol to help with fever. Seems those areas more exposed to the sun are effected worse by the rash, so using sunscreen at least 30 UPF, wearing loose fitting, long sleeve pants, shirt. Avoiding hot showers, walking barefoot, moisturizing at night with creams being better than lotions, which may have more relief if refrigerated, putting creams on hands/feet and wearing gloves and socks over that. For nail cracks and finger fissures, regular band aids on finger tips, Liquid band aid, crazy glue, gloves. Washed with mild liquid bath soap like dove for sensitive skin, Aveeno, head and shoulders shampoo for dry scalp, although an oatmeal bath I heard helps. A topical antihistamine to help prevent itching, hydrocortisone, and moisturizing cream like aquaphor, Cetaphil, Eucerin, Aveeno, pain meds, extra hydration infusions, mucocitis care by spraying mouth out with saline at radiation center. I was hospitalized for dehydration, and needed a blood transfusion due to low hemoglobin, and later had conjunctivitis, probably from dry eyes from blocked tear gland, and slept most of the time when I stayed at Hope Lodge alone, which wasn't optimal.

Pretty much side effects cease when treatment ends, but some may take several weeks to resolve like the postures, itching, at least for me.

I hope this helps.
Thank you so much! My next infusion is tomorrow and I'm going to insist on the Decadron or dexamethasone. I had a reaction to the bender iv so I'm hoping there's something else they can give me to dampen down the histamine response. All of your tips are very helpful. I can't thank you enough.
[quote=Throat CA 704]My next infusion is tomorrow and I'm going to insist on the Decadron or dexamethasone.[/quote]
Decadron and dexamethasone are the same thing. smile When I was on cetuximab, I took 20 mg the night before each infusion, 20 mg with breakfast the next morning, and then 20 mg IV as a pre-med.

One thing that worked great for me, which was also mentioned above, was Head & Shoulders shampoo. My scalp really itched after my first infusion but I had almost instantaneous relief with the H&S shampoo. After that, I would always spread the lather over my chest, arms, shoulders and back.

My doctor also prescribed 2.5% hydrocortisone cream. You can get the 1% over the counter but it doesn't work as well.

One week I saw a different oncologist, who for some reason prescribed hydroxyzine pamoate for itching I no longer had. Since I didn't need it, I never took any so I can't tell you if it works or not but it's something you could ask you doctor about.

Incidentally, the antibiotics are strictly preventative, to hopefully keep the rash from getting infected. They won't do anything to help you feel better.

And yes, the rash does go away a few months after treatment is over.
There are meta-analyses showing prophylaxis antibiotics reducing the severity of skin toxicities; rashes, itching, onset, duration from EGFR inhibitors, like Erbitux.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/27214209/
Hi,
It's encouraging that you have a first-cycle rash - but the itching must be wretched. In addition to the previous suggestions, please make sure you your clothing and bedding are laundered in an fragrance-free detergent, and don't use dryer sheets. Probably won't make much difference but no need to add potential allergens to the mix.
Maria
PS - my husband found the Eucerin products soothing.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum