Posted By: lorilou1 peg tube being removed monday - 03-12-2010 08:38 PM
Can anyone tell me about how much pain I'm in for? How long will it take to heal? Thanks
Posted By: Carmen M Re: peg tube being removed monday - 03-13-2010 04:44 AM
I can only speak for me. But it didn't hurt at all - didn't even feel her pull it out. The hole closed up almost immediately and scabbed over. Not a problem at all.
Posted By: slim Re: peg tube being removed monday - 03-13-2010 01:38 PM
Everyone is different. My husband's "simple" 10 minute procedure turned into almost an hour and wasn't pain-free. They couldn't get the balloon to deflat so they had to put an ultrasound guided needle through his stomach to deflat the balloon. They said this rarely happens. Lucky us! John didn't have any pain once it was removed. It took a couple of weeks to heal over completely. He just kept a bandaid on it for the first couple of days. Congratulations on getting it removed.
Posted By: Charm2017 Re: peg tube being removed monday - 03-13-2010 02:13 PM
Lori
Relax. Without knowing what type of PEG tube you have (is it held in with a stitch, a balloon, a pig tail ?), it's hard to respond specifically but I have had two G tubes pulled out with zero pain or hassle. Since I had a new G tube put in each time, I cannot address healing time for the stoma.
Congratulations on getting rid of your PEG - it's a major milestone to full recovery.
Charm
Posted By: ChristineB Re: peg tube being removed monday - 03-13-2010 02:21 PM
A regular PEG tube like most on here have should be an easy procedure. The doc simply pulls it out. It hurts like heck for about 30 seconds. It will heal very quickly.
Posted By: lorilou1 Re: peg tube being removed monday - 03-14-2010 12:42 AM
Thanks Everyone,
I do have a balloon,But I have great faith in my doctor.So I hope will be a walk in the park. After every thing I've threw , Ive learn to roll With punches.And from the looks of this web site I'm one of lucky ones.Bless all of you.
Posted By: Deejer47 Re: peg tube being removed monday - 03-15-2010 05:11 PM
For me it was like being snapped with a towel, hurt like heck for 1/2 a minute or so and that was it. Great being rid of the bloody thing.
Posted By: William1949 Re: peg tube being removed monday - 03-15-2010 06:33 PM
Over in a split second for me. Definitely a bit weird when he yanks but not painful - more like a sting. Scab, etc. took about two weeks to heal and fall off.
Posted By: misskate Re: peg tube being removed monday - 03-17-2010 12:54 AM
My Dr. distracted me and just yanked it out. It didn't hurt because he did it do fast and I was so estatic to have it out of me. It was such a relief! One of the best days of my life!
CONGRATULATIONS!
Posted By: Pete D Re: peg tube being removed monday - 03-22-2010 10:09 PM
Regarding the healing time, my G-doc told me that if a PEG or G-tube ever came out, go to emergency room and have them put in a catheter to keep the stoma from closing. He said the stoma would close in about four hours (I presume he meant the interior stoma in stomach wall).

BTW, the G-tube that was put in for me by the radiologists didn't have a balloon, mushroom or other anchoring device; it just relied on a longer length and some curves to keep it in place, so it would be possible to pull it out easily if it were caught in clothing, etc. I took mine out several times to clean it (Easily blocked by crushed meds) and there was no pain involved.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum