Posted By: helen.c late onset depression - 04-24-2005 04:47 PM
Hi
Has anyone else suffered depression 8 months after treatment ended? I know I still have to have at least 2 more ops but they are relatively minor (LOL, God! I hope you are listening to me) I
Posted By: Candace Re: late onset depression - 04-24-2005 06:35 PM
Hi Helen: Since depression has a biological component it could appear at a time when your biochemistry is depleted (by treatment, other medicines, alcohol or by your body's response to treatment). There are plenty of new antidepressants that have come on the market since Prozac became popular. Some target depression, some anxiety, etc. You may want to talk to your doctor about trying one of the newer ones. Even though things are going well for you (Hurrah!) you body could be experiencing chemical imbalances. Depression is not just emotional, but it is also a biochemical condition. Prozac deals well with certain types of depression, but other medications deal with other types of chemical imbalances (serotonin vs. dopamine, etc). Get thee to a doctor & talk to her about your options! Good luck! - Candace
Posted By: karenng Re: late onset depression - 04-24-2005 10:35 PM
Hi Helen,
Your situation brings my memory back to 3 years ago when I experienced severe depression 4 months post treatment. I was already declared cancer free at that point and I should have felt overjoyed. That was not the fact. I didn't see the light at the end of the tunnel and the side effects of dry mouth, tingling feelings of limbs, feeling very tired all made me think that I could never go back to my previous job.I didn't know whether it was the treatment that made me depressed or not but my doctor said it was my perception that had gone wrong. I couldn't sleep even after taking sleeping pills. My mind was full of nothing but negative thoughts.I didn't phone Samaratins for help but I did ring up a cancer support centre expressing my contemplation of suicide. They couldn't help me unfortunately. I had to seek help from clinical psychologist and psychiatrist. The sleeping problem could not be improved and I nearly went mad. To cut the long story short, I was finally cured by staying in the psychiatric ward for about a month. During my stay, I had a series of tests to see if the treatment has affected my brain or not. The result was no.The anti-depressants were very useful in my case and I had taken it for over a year. Today, I don't need any medicine to help me sleep but I still have to see my psychiatrist once every 3 months. He helps me a lot to overcome depression.So I will suggest you seek medical profession for assistance asap. I always tell my friends that depression is more frightening than cancer. Take care,

Karen.
Posted By: aussieh Re: late onset depression - 04-25-2005 01:34 AM
Dear Helen

You are having a tough time at present. I take an antidepressant that targets dopamine and find it suits me well. It wasn't until after treatment ended that I started to feel down, even though I was pleased that everything had gone well. Until then I hadn't realised what 'living with cancer' really meant or how it would affect me.

I am glad you are able to ask for help. I agree with Candace that another drug may be more effective for you now.

Thinking of you and hoping you'll be feeling stronger soon.

Lots of love and light from Helen
Posted By: Daniel Bogan Re: late onset depression - 04-25-2005 09:36 AM
Dear Helen,

I think alot of us go through bouts of depression after treatment ends. I am over one year out and still experience depression. Not working contributes to it I think. Spring has just arrived and I'm hoping that will help me.
I have to go for a chemo treatment today (boo!)
and I really don't want to go. I do have next week off. Your not alone in what you are experiencing. Talk to you doctor and he may be able to help.

Love Ya, Danny Boy
Posted By: Carol L Re: late onset depression - 04-25-2005 10:37 AM
Hi Helen, just wanted to add that I will be going along fine and then someone will say "what happened to your neck"? This was asked of me Saturday nite by an Aunt of my daughter's friend who came to our home to take pics for the prom. On the one hand, it is a downer and on the other, I am grateful to be alive, I truly am. Just wish the scar was somewhere else on my body! I have had my bouts of depression since all of this and my doctor has helped me out with it. Take Care, Carol
Posted By: Kris Re: late onset depression - 04-25-2005 11:24 AM
Hi Helen-
It has been 3 years since I started treatment and I just recently started being treated for depression. I also just ordered a book from the OCF product page, "Dancing in Limbo." Just reading the blurbs on Amazon made me decide to give it a try. The book is due any day. I'll let you know if it helped! In the meantime just wanted you to know you are not alone! You might be cancer free, but it is hard to let go of the thought of cancer.The nightmare tends to linger in your mind. A toast to better days ahead! - Kris
Posted By: helen.c Re: late onset depression - 04-25-2005 05:04 PM
Thanks everyone,
At least now I know I
Posted By: Uptown Re: late onset depression - 04-26-2005 12:36 AM
Gosh, Helen, and I was just sitting here thinking if I could be a bit thinner my life would be much better!! Pass the Prozac please.

Even if you don't hear from me as often, you are always the sunshine of my thoughts!!

Ed
Posted By: helen.c Re: late onset depression - 04-27-2005 03:50 PM
Well
The depression has taken a real hold again, I
Posted By: Shelley H. Re: late onset depression - 04-27-2005 04:41 PM
Dear Helen,

I am sending you a big hug, because it sounds like you need one right now! You are NOT being selfish at all to want to be on the receiving end for a change. Us caregivers have needs too. You are one amazing woman. To go through all the medical "stuff" you are going through as well as taking care of your blind husband. You are a Saint in my book! Aren't there any family or friends who can come over to give you a break once in awhile? My heart goes out to you. Hope things change for the better.

Take Care,

Shelley
Posted By: aussieh Re: late onset depression - 04-27-2005 06:02 PM
Dear Helen

You are most definitely entitled to receive, in bucketloads. It must be so difficult trying to care for yourself plus your very dependent husband at any time, let alone when you are feeling so anxious about your upcoming treatment.

Here in Oz respite care is available so that caregivers can have a break and rejuvenate. Would that be possible in UK? Could your gp help with that when you get home?

I believe that for any situation to improve we have to act and make positive changes to enhance our life quality. After all, we are living OUR life, noone elses.

I will be thinking of you and hoping you are feeling stronger. Maybe you need to see a local doctor who could phone your gp, if you continue to feel very depressed.

Lots of love and light from Helen
Posted By: Marica Re: late onset depression - 04-27-2005 08:09 PM
Helen
Correct me if I am wrong but, I know he is blind and I know he has prostate cancer , is he undergoing any treatment for that? I did not think he was invalided in any way. He is a big boy and pickling himself in Brandy is not going to help him or you.
Maybe he needs a wee jerk up to remind him that you have been pretty sick yourself and its now your turn to receive some support.
I hate to hear you so unhappy ..you are usually so upbeat and supportive of all your friends here.
You need a HUGGGGG girl..and a few days without worrying about him.
Just keep on venting here..we care a lot about you and would give anything to be able to really help when you need it.
Hang in there Helen..
Marica
Posted By: Daniel Bogan Re: late onset depression - 04-27-2005 08:49 PM
Dear Helen,

Sending you ONE HUGE HUG right now!!! When you get back home please go see your doctor and tell him how you feel. There are meds that can help. I can't fathom all you have taken on during the last year. You need some support from someone close to you. We can offer advice and cyber hugs but I feel you need some relief from all the stress you are under.
Please know I and many others will be thinking about you.

Love Ya, Danny Boy
Posted By: netteq Re: late onset depression - 04-28-2005 12:48 AM
Helen,

From the caregiver perspective I am very aware of what you are talking about.

I worry about being selfish and I think that I must be everything to everyone all of the time.

It is a very difficult thing to cope with knowing that someone else depends on you to such a degree that they might not be able to carry on without you. And this is under normal circumstances.

The last I checked, brandy will make a nice fire over a flaming desert.

As far as how to cope... I am still practicing. I do not take medications. There are times when I wake in the morning and I am overwhelmed with an incredible sadness. Sometimes almost impossible to see through and I go outside and get in my car and I turn the music up so that I can not hear anything else.

I close my eyes and I think about nothing. I breath deep and let the music flow through me taking the sadness with it. Over time it passes and I can continue on.

There have been a few times when it is so strong that I am afraid it won't pass. At those times, I write. Anything I want, anything I feel no matter how unfair, bizarre, or whatever it is. Then I send it to a friend who reads them and says nothing in return. It works for me. I don't know if it would work for anyone else but it works for me.

If you think that the writing might help, then try a Blog here on the board. There is something about writing and sharing without response that is very helpful. Rosie is doing a great job and I would even make the leap that it is helpful for her to do it.

Never give up trying things (except jumping off of a bridge of course :-) that are constructive not destructive because you just never know what might work.

You are doing one thing that many people find helpful and that is communicating. With us here.

Keep talking, we are all listening and your audience completely understands.

Sending you lots of hugs!!

Cindy
Posted By: happy Re: late onset depression - 10-03-2005 01:47 AM
Four year surivor here and am just starting to go through the cancer survival depression...totally unexpected. Check out Dancing in Limbo...great book to help understand this new cancer survival confusion!
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum