Posted By: sharlee Has any one hear of Neuroma ? - 07-05-2007 11:48 PM
They are telling me the lump in my jaw is a Neuroma... Basically a tumor of the nerves. However it is pressing so that most of my tongue is now numb,,not just the left side and all the way to my chin and my ear now as well as also it has some pain..weird becasue it is numb i know.

My feeling was starting to come back , now going again and more of it . They are trying to treat with a medication and if that dosent work then surgey ...but who wants to have surgery on the nerves that can cause facial paralysis ..hmmm I am begining to think this one is a no win situation ! |
Anyone have any experience with this? :rolleyes:
Posted By: Nelie Re: Has any one hear of Neuroma ? - 07-06-2007 12:16 AM
Sharlee, You're like me--one tumor after another! I know someone who had a neuroma in the nerves connected to his ear and they did some kind of noninvasive surgery that got rid of it. If they do tell you you need surgery, I'd definitely try to get a second opinion somewhere. It sounds like this is not as aggressive or deadly a type of tumor as oral cancer though? Anyway, you've been spared the radiation bullet for now, right?

Nelie
Posted By: sharlee Re: Has any one hear of Neuroma ? - 07-06-2007 12:51 AM
As far as I know YES !! NO RAD ! however I have also just found out I need a hysterctommy for possible uterine cancer or adnomyosis and I wont do any further test because treatment for both is the hysterectomy ..so in my opinion TEST AFTER YOU TAKE !! LOL enough is enough , you have to take it so no more poking around !!!! But as far as the Neuroma it SUX .... the whole facail paralysis thing !
Posted By: Me2 Re: Has any one hear of Neuroma ? - 07-06-2007 09:41 AM
Sharlee - I was glad to finally see your post - had been wondering how you were doing. It also got my curiosity up regarding neuromas after neck dissection, since I've had one too, so I did some quick research and found a couple of articles that you might find helpful in explaining this. The good news is that this has NOTHING to do with cancer, it is only an attempt for injured nerves to repair themselves.

Here are the links:
http://www.ajnr.org/cgi/content/full/21/9/1676
http://radiology.rsnajnls.org/cgi/c...mp;HITS=20&hits=20&RESULTFORMAT=
&searchid=1&FIRSTINDEX=0&displaysectionid
=Head+and+Neck+Imaging&resourcetype=HWCIT
Posted By: sharlee Re: Has any one hear of Neuroma ? - 07-06-2007 10:07 AM
Thanks Ginny

I hadnt posted in a while as things are crazy here ..believe it or not I am not making it up ..My dog ate the power cord to my computer so I couldnt use it for like 2 or more weeks !!!! Luckily my house didnt burn down !!

Shar
Posted By: PeteyB Re: Has any one hear of Neuroma ? - 07-06-2007 07:14 PM
Hey Sharlee

Check your margins on your computor.

Did you recently change them? I'm no computor geek. I checked a lot of your posts and they are fine.

It is only this last topic.
Posted By: Brian Hill Re: Has any one hear of Neuroma ? - 07-06-2007 09:42 PM
The long link will not be broken by the system so that link is throwing the whole page off to compensate. If I take the one link out the page will all go back to normal.
Posted By: Me2 Re: Has any one hear of Neuroma ? - 07-07-2007 12:04 PM
Sorry, that was my fault for posting it, I didn't realize it would do that.... :rolleyes:
Posted By: Eileen Re: Has any one hear of Neuroma ? - 07-09-2007 09:29 PM
Hi Sharlee,
I had a neuroma in my neck after my first neck dissection. It was described to me as a 'damaged nerve that did not go back into its sheath'. This caused major numbness in my neck which could refer to the ear if anything slightly pressed on it. If my PT hit, you could scrape me off the ceiling. Over the years, it has gradually healed and no longer presents a problem. However, mine did not cause any problems with eating or speaking. You may want to pursue this further.

Take care,
Eileen
Posted By: Cathy G Re: Has any one hear of Neuroma ? - 07-09-2007 09:49 PM
Sharlee,

I had a neuroma in my gum a couple of years ago. My oral surgeon removed it (a minor procedure in his office), and it had no lingering effects.

Cathy
Posted By: JeffL Re: Has any one hear of Neuroma ? - 07-13-2007 08:05 AM
Also had neuroma in my lower abdominal area after hernia surgery. They had to go back in and get rid of it, which they combined with hernia repair to other side. The surgery was nothing compared to when the surgeon palpated that neuroma --- worst pain I ever had, including everything I just went through with the cancer.

Neuroma is a big nothing -- smile!
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum