Posted By: rickt "Lump" on mandible - 01-13-2007 10:44 AM
Hey Guys!

I hope you all are doing well!!! I just recovered from Photodynamic Therapy (which I had for recurring dysplasia). It was horribly painful, but 1 month later, I am relatively pain free. If anybody would like more information on that subject, please feel free to write me and I will pass it on.

My latest concern (worry), is a little "bump" on my jaw where my primary once resided (lingual surface of mandible, inferior to tooth #18). This is a new discovery, and I am sure was not there 6 months ago. it is very firm, round immoble, approx 2-3mm in diameter, and totally painless. I am 2 years post-op, and my primary was VERY superficial. I am not even sure if bone involvment would would be nodular (like this). If anybody has an input as to what this may be, or how serious of a concern this is, I would certainly appreciate it.

Thank you all once again, and I wish you all the very best.

May God Bless!
Rick
Posted By: August Re: "Lump" on mandible - 01-14-2007 11:40 PM
...I know you must be frantic to think you might have a recurrence, and I know that you will get it checked out immediately, if not sooner, but to be honest, it sounds like a tora --plural, tori? (you dentists out there....is that the right name?) I have many of these bony bumps on the lingual sides of my mandibles. My mother had them also and was told that she had better take good care of her teeth, because she would have a terrible time being fitted for dentures!

Take a deep breath and go get it checked. Let me know if I am right.
Posted By: wilckdds Re: "Lump" on mandible - 01-15-2007 08:05 AM
August and Rick,

Singular is "Torus". You are correct with the plural being "Tori". Tori usually occur on both sides of the mandible and are usually mirror images of each other.

Mandibular tori are usually found more to the front of the mouth, in the bicuspid area. (#18 is a molar) Isolated bony growths can be found any place in the madible or maxilla.

Rick what you have is probably not a torus, but could be. I'm sure you will get it checked and please let us know what you find out.

Jerry
Posted By: rickt Re: "Lump" on mandible - 01-16-2007 09:40 PM
I am getting it checked this thursday. Kind of a pain since my ENT is over one hour away, but I don't wanna take any chances with this. Thank you guys for your input. I am still praying!!!

Thanks and Best wishes!!!

Rick
Posted By: rickt Re: "Lump" on mandible - 01-27-2007 08:18 PM
Everything is OK. Apparently it is just due a blocked salivary duct. When I asked "how certain?", I was told "I am very certain!" Typical thouugh, that it had to be in the same location as my cancer. Oh well, I have been thanking God once again, and hoping that I have no more panic episodes to post. Thank you all for being here and God Bless!

Thanks and Very Best Wishes to All,
Rick
Posted By: davidcpa Re: "Lump" on mandible - 01-27-2007 10:57 PM
Great news Rick.

See what this C does to us!!

In my opinion it is FAR easier to tell someone not to worry about something in our mouth or neck until it is Dx as C. I got a slight sore throat the other day and I was ready to call my ENT. The next day it wasn't sore anymore and my wife was telling me I was paranoid. I didn't argue the point because I hope she will never understand.
Posted By: August Re: "Lump" on mandible - 01-28-2007 02:15 AM
David....I love your line, "I hope she will never understand" the paranoia of worrying about every little bump and pain in our mouths and throats. It is a feeling that each of us understands because we live with it constantly. I, too, have had several panic visits to my periodontist this past year, for things that healed themselves in a few days. Now I have learned to wait a few days and keep an eye on things before jumping into panic mode. I must say, however, that my periodontist ALWAYS welcomes me and will see me within moments of my call. He says that he would rather see me needlessly than to not see me when he should.
Posted By: August Re: "Lump" on mandible - 01-28-2007 02:16 AM
Rick--I rejoice with you over your good news! I can't imagine getting the bad news that "it" is back, but if I ever do, you guys will be the first ones I run to! I know that you'll be here.
Posted By: teamshrink Re: "Lump" on mandible - 01-28-2007 06:02 PM
I second that!!! My wife will be mad, but she'll have to wait wink
Posted By: wilckdds Re: "Lump" on mandible - 01-28-2007 11:13 PM
Hey Rick,

Your news made my day. I'm so happy for you. We will all unfortunately continue to panic, because that's the name of the game.

Jerry
Posted By: Stoj Re: "Lump" on mandible - 01-29-2007 12:17 AM
Great news...panic is what we all do. I pray that we can panic for many years and enjoy good news at the end of each incident. Does that make sense? It's late
Posted By: hoopref34 Re: "Lump" on mandible - 12-08-2012 05:42 AM
Hi ALL
newbee here....just completed my first week of Chemo/Radiation and noticed a lump under my jaw line? Sounds like a blocked duct? It doesnt hurt, but I have 6 more weeks? Worried about it hurting in the future.

Diagnosed: Aug 26 - Surgery: Oct 26 - Tongue 20% and Neck Resection. 3/20 Nodes were positive. Never smoked or chewed dip. Healthy athlete.....

Thanks in advance for any feedback.
Posted By: PaulB Re: "Lump" on mandible - 12-08-2012 01:54 PM
Hoopref34 FYI...You posted on someone's link that is 5 years old. Maybe put this in in the "introduce yourself" section. Tell your doctors, RO, ENT, MO, about the lump. It's common to get a ball, and swelling (lymphdemia), which I call a a turkey neck, under your chin from radiation or surgery, due to the lymph fluid being rerouted from the missing lymphs or slowed from your treatments, and fluid collecting under the chin. This shoud go down in time, and there are massages, exercises that can be done to assist in Lymph drainage, but check with a professional since they have to be done in a certain direction to drain properly. Good luck.
Posted By: hoopref34 Re: "Lump" on mandible - 12-08-2012 02:28 PM
Thanks PaulB. Appreciate the advice and information.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum