Posted By: Nels Receding Gums - 12-22-2020 07:24 PM
Hi all

My gum line on my upper left back molars is receding. I am 5 months post rads (60Gy oral cavity and neck). Had root canal up there, renewed crown, and small cavity all about a month ago.

Weird because it is the opposite side of where I had SCC. Surgery to remove half of right side tongue and lymph nodes was 4/1/20. Margins clear and SCC found in one node.

Appreciate any advice anyone can offer. Thanks and happy holidays to all. Stay safe and keep the faith.

Nels
Posted By: gmcraft Re: Receding Gums - 12-22-2020 11:23 PM
Fr9m what I know, radiation destroys the enamel on your teeth and so you will need root canals and other dental work. The fluoride trays you were given before radiation are really for life. But I think most people find it too much of a hassle after the radiation treatment.
Posted By: Nels Re: Receding Gums - 12-25-2020 01:50 AM
Thanks. I have been doing the fluoride gel daily since treatment. I sometimes miss a day so probably 6 days/week. I floss and brush at least twice a day. I have been a daily flosser for decades. Never had any noticeable issues with gums until a month or two ago. I have been seeing my dentist every couple months since treatment due to all the work and issues and she just noticed this in the last few weeks. Hoping to hold onto my teeth as long as I can.
Posted By: gmcraft Re: Receding Gums - 12-25-2020 01:05 PM
Good dental work. My husband did the same but still ended up needing a root canal.
Are you using Prevident toothpaste? Also watch that dry
mouth.
Oral cancer is brutal in its side effects.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum