Posted By: Ariel Tongue pain, pins and needles - 09-06-2020 06:52 PM
I had a partial glossectomy on July 21st. My tongue was numb for a few weeks and now I have a lot of nerve pain. If you had the same thing please tell me how long it lasted.
Posted By: Dizz_zzey Re: Tongue pain, pins and needles - 09-06-2020 08:30 PM
Hi Ariel,

Unfortunately we can't answer " how long it lasted" if someone pain as everyone is different. Nerve pain is awful so please get yourself an appointment to sort out some decent pain relief and an investigation to find out what's causing the pain.
Posted By: Ariel Re: Tongue pain, pins and needles - 09-07-2020 01:40 PM
Did you experience that sensation after your surgery?
Posted By: DavidUofMsavedMe Re: Tongue pain, pins and needles - 09-07-2020 02:09 PM
Most of the nerve pain I have had since surgery (hemiglossectomy & neck dissection) last December has been on my neck along the scar. It is improving. Hang in there. The pain should get better as you heal.
Posted By: Ariel Re: Tongue pain, pins and needles - 09-07-2020 03:54 PM
Thank you
Posted By: Dizz_zzey Re: Tongue pain, pins and needles - 09-07-2020 03:57 PM
I didn't get any nerve pain. I was put on pregablin (part of the gabapantin group, so great for nerve pain) for a month before my surgery. I stayed on it for 4 months after surgery (a month after i finished rads). I was also encouraged to massage my scars as soon as the stitches were removed. I guess it all helped
Posted By: Idaho Native Re: Tongue pain, pins and needles - 11-30-2020 09:31 PM
I had a partial glossectomy in April. My nerve pain was AWFUL! The doc started me on gabapentin and it has been a godsend. Finding the "magic" spot took about a month, but now I dont go a day without my meds. She told me it could take up to 18 months for regenration, but no guarentees of total regeneration.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum