Posted By: ConnieT asking a few questions. - 01-15-2019 10:49 PM
so last radiation treatment was Oct 4th. He is starting to eat many foods now but the issue is so much pain. This is the man who had little pain during treatment and after but here we are months later and he's dealing with a lot of pain. He would be eating pretty much anything except it's too painful. He wonders if its from taking healthy tissue for that biopsy on Dec 26th and it's not healing. Biopsy done on cancer tissue didn't bother him back in July.

Also, numb hands and feet. Doc said there's a med for that but it has side effects. B12 and B6 were mentioned but he wants shots and they didn't want him to do shots but supplements so he probably wouldn't follow through with that.

any thoughts or experience are appreciated.
Posted By: David2 Re: asking a few questions. - 01-16-2019 02:13 AM
Connie, I'm sorry to read all this. I can't comment on the pain issue except to say that I had quite a lot of it during treatment and it continued for several months but eventually went away. Like others here I couldn't handle solid foods for at least 6 months after the end of rads.

I too have largely numb fingers and also tingling up my arms. However this didn't begin until several years after I finished treatment, and it has progressed. Finally a neurologist diagnosed Radiation Fibrosis Syndrome, an unfortunate side effect of having your life saved in this fashion. If your husband's symptoms continue or worsen you might consider a neuro consult - although I must add that not all of them are up on this diagnosis, which I gather is fairly recent. Mind you, I'm no doctor so this is just a guess!

There is a guy in New York who specializes in this condition however. His name is Michael Stubblefield and here's a link to get you started:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cp5PGCUYRdE&t=9s

I hope your husband finds relief very soon.
Posted By: ConnieT Re: asking a few questions. - 01-16-2019 04:23 AM
thank you David, I will check out the link.
Posted By: PaulB Re: asking a few questions. - 01-16-2019 07:48 PM
To chime in,

I was interested in Dr Stubblefields work in Rehab Medicine while he was at Memorial Sloan Kettering in NYC, but he has since moved to Kessler Institute in NJ, so I never went to see him, although it’s only a short distance, but I don’t drive anymore. There are You-Tube videos to watch, plus has a few books $$

I did see last year, a speaking engagement he had with the Explorers Club, which he belongs, I believe about visiting the North Pole, which I would have liked to have attended but the date had just passed.

FYI
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum