Hello all,

I had an leukoplakia area on my tongue that was removed via biopsy a month ago. It was diagnosed as carcinoma in situ with clear margins. However, it’s been a month, and a small part of the biopsy site (the middle portion, last to heal, is still sensitive to foods and rubbing against my teeth. There is also still white in that area. The other sections of the biopsy site turned white as they healed, but then the white faded. I have been assuming this white area is also a mark of healing, but as it has been so long, I am concerned. It’s not that the sensitivity is bothering me. The pain is very mild now. I guess I am just hoping for some reassurance this might be normal healing and not an immediate recurrence. The white does look quite different that my initial patch. I know no one is a doctor, but I also figured many of you have probably had tongue biopsies!

Thanks for any help! I am a non smoker and non drinker, so I have not been doing much that should be irritating the area, but it is right along my teeth, so normal chewing does rub it around.
Welcome to OCF!

Im sorry to read about your slow healing from recent surgery. By joining our site and posting Im fairly certain you must be pretty concerned about your "spot". Try your best to stay busy to help keep your mind from worrying too much. If you are concerned about your slow healing and/or the white area I suggest going back to the doc to get it checked. It could be any number of things going on including an infection or maybe its a regrowth? Only by having the area checked by the doc will you find out whats normal and what needs medical attention. Im hoping its nothing serious and all just your body thats in the process of healing. After having so many surgeries over the past 11 years Ive learned a little about how US doctors do things. For 90 days after a surgery patients can go back to the surgeon to get rechecked. Anything past the 90 days post surgery should go to a different doctor like an ENT or possibly its something for your family doc depending on what the issue is. Being only a month post surgery you are well within the time range to go back to the doc who did your surgery to have it checked again.

There isnt too much info about leukoplakia here but from the info on the main OCF site Ive learned many patients with leukoplakia will have it return after its been surgically removed. Im very sorry I dont have more info for you!!! Our site consists of regular people who are oral cancer patients and caregivers, not medical professionals. Even if we had medical backgrounds its not possible to give a diagnosis without knowing your entire medical history or you in front of us to examine and ask you clarifying questions. I wanted to explain in more detail why I recommend you get it checked out by your doc. Id also suggest to ask the doc if adding high protein whey powder to your diet to help boost your protein intake to speed your healing would help. It cant hurt to ask while you're there.

Best wishes with everything!!!
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum