Posted By: jeff hornaevk Dysplasia recurrence after surgery - 03-16-2018 12:14 AM
Has anyone ever had experience with this happening? I had laser surgery done on my tongue a month and a half ago and all was going well until I thought I noticed a small red spot in an area that was lasered off which looked like my old lesion. I have an appointment at the end of this month for a checkup but am obviously disappointed if this is the case.
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Dysplasia recurrence after surgery - 03-16-2018 02:02 AM
Dysplasia coming back after it has been removed is very common. Thats probably why doctors dont always rush to remove it. As long as your dysplasia does not change into OC, you are in the clear and ahead of almost every member here.
Posted By: SandraCarol Re: Dysplasia recurrence after surgery - 03-16-2018 02:37 AM
Good Evening Jeff Hornaevk - New to the forum as of this evening. I also have dysplasia for the past two years. Two biopsies within the first year of diagnosis. First one in the buccal mucosa/vestibule and floor of mouth. Second biopsy left lateral of tongue. To respond of dysplasia returning I agree with Christine's comments. Mine are very visible and have never disappeared. From April 2016 I have been closely monitored by a pathologist by exams and taking photographs. Today I had an appointment with a new dentist who absolutely felt being with a pathologist was the correct route for monitoring. He also examined my oral cavity and could see the lesions. Best of Luck to you.
Posted By: jeff hornaevk Re: Dysplasia recurrence after surgery - 03-27-2018 05:41 PM
Update: I was wrong! One spot was granulation and the other was normal tissue. smile
Posted By: KristenS Re: Dysplasia recurrence after surgery - 03-28-2018 02:26 AM
Yay! Granulation can be healed. My feeding tube hole didn't heal properly when it was removed, and the doctor kept telling me it was 'just fine'. I got a different surgeon to take a loot when I was with her for another follow-up, and she recognized granulation right away and did whatever it was that was needed to set it straight so it actually could heal. It was good to heal, and good to be heard. It's always good to be aware of how you are healing, and to ask when you are concerned!
Posted By: Kerri Re: Dysplasia recurrence after surgery - 03-31-2018 04:42 PM
I'm happy to hear that all was okay!
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum