Posted By: Karina Average wait for CT/PET scans - 10-13-2016 08:19 PM
Howdy All,
I'm confused re: my up coming appointments. I'm scheduled to be seen at UNM Hospital tomorrow. Not at their CCC but @ the Specialty Surgery Clinic. When asked to bring my scan disks I informed the ENT folks that I was still waiting for an appointment for the scans. They were "working on it". I think it slipped their minds. Oh Well...
This Morning a private imaging facility called with an appt. that's over 2 weeks from now..???
Does that sound like a long time? I feel like my visit to Albuquerque will be compromised due to the lack of scan results.It's a way long drive to be told... come back after your scans are complete. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.
Hugs to all
Karina
Posted By: PaulB Re: Average wait for CT/PET scans - 10-13-2016 10:47 PM
Sounds like your PET/CT is being sourced out as not every hospital has a PET/CT machine or the staff to Interpret them. Having been in treatment of several facilities, the one where the ENT or person taking charge of your care, may want to do the imaging there or their affiliation, so I would keep the appointment, besides their probably going to do a physical/visual exam, scope, reviewing the pathology of the biopsy, and you can ask questions, and some prefer a CT, even an MRI, depending on location of cancer, and type.

A PET/ CT requires advanced preparation, such as low or no carbs for 24hrs, some just say 8, no exercise for 2 days as these can alter the PET scan results. A CT requires no advanced preparation, can be pretty much done anywhere, and easily read compared to a PET, and is cheaper. I think that's where the wait time can be is with insurance approval or pre approval, so wait times can vary, and yes, I've waited two weeks, sometimes less depending on the Doctor and association with the radiology center or department, and my insurance.

I hope this helps, and good luck tomorrow.
Posted By: Karina Re: Average wait for CT/PET scans - 10-18-2016 12:50 AM
Thank You PaulB.... Your reply was "Right On" and very helpful to me.
My visit to UNM hospital was productive regardless of scan results.The Cancer center is on line with most imaging centers in the state. ENT oncologist is OK having scan results @ anytime prior to surg. Whew! Guess I was over thinking it.
Again...Many thanks for easing my worry and helping me make the right decision for me.
Hugs Karina
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Average wait for CT/PET scans - 10-18-2016 02:28 AM
I would call the imaging facility back and tell them what you explained in your post. If they cant move your appointment up you can ask to be put on the cancellation list. Paul is correct in saying many procedures or even scans need days of prep time like getting extra rest, avoiding carbs and sugar or drinking lots of water. Since its an outside place where you will be getting scanned, you will need extra time to have the results sent over to your doc. I would also ask if they provide a copy of the scan to their patients. Some places will hand you a disc immediately after your test.

Best wishes!
Posted By: donfoo Re: Average wait for CT/PET scans - 10-19-2016 04:58 AM
Sounds like some personal shepherding may get test results moved along quicker. Remember scans produce two things: a set of images and a written report. If you pick up the image disc after you get scanned, the report will likely not be on the disc. Just make sure both are sent along; otherwise there may be more delay.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum