Posted By: Lynanne56 Refusing RT - 04-09-2013 09:32 PM
My husband is almost ninety years old and on March 1st underwent total neck dissection. He has decided not to go through radiation. Has anyone on the board chose this option.? He says he wants to enjoy whats left of his life with quality.
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Refusing RT - 04-09-2013 09:44 PM
Im so sorry you are in this situation! I cant imagine how difficult this must be for you.

There have been some members (caregivers) who have had to go this route with their patient. Unfortunately anyone who has refused to have treatment has passed away. There isnt much here about that type of thing as OCF works to help patients with survival using scientifically proven medical treatment and recovery. This type of decision is something we arent able to assist you with. Its a very personal choice when a patient refuses treatment due to quality of life issues.

Hospice has people who are specially trained in these matters and can help with the questions Im sure you must have. I would also check with your husbands physician for some guidance. If that individual isnt able to help at least they can point you in the right direction. You probably need not only some guidance regarding your husbands situation but also some support for you as well.

Best wishes!
Posted By: Charm2017 Re: Refusing RT - 04-09-2013 10:45 PM
As the person on this board with the second highest amount of radiation, I fully support your husband's decision. Of course you love Him, but radiation has never improved anyone's quality of life. Reread Christine's answer to your first two posts about 70 and 80 year olds. At 90 let it go as the pain and issues will rob him of quality of life.
Explore hospice and palliative care so you can both enjoy his remaining years.
In my opinion, if your tears make him change his mind, you will both regret it.
I am so sorry that this has happened to you
Chram
Posted By: tamvonk Re: Refusing RT - 04-10-2013 02:42 AM
I have to agree. At 90 years of age I would not persue radiotherapy for an oral cancer. I'm sure he has had a great life to date. I would not be encouraging him to make his last years miserable. The surgery may well have rid him of all the cancer. Radiation is just a follow up and I feel at this age is not a necessity.
I hope you both enjoy these last years together.
Tammy
Posted By: tina77 Re: Refusing RT - 04-10-2013 02:59 AM
I missed the earlier posts, but I was given the option after my surgery on radiation, and chose not to. I am monitored closely for any recurrence, and so far so good. I had no node involvement when they did the neck dissection (false positive on the PET with contrast).

© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum