Posted By: OzMojo Neck Spasms - 06-30-2020 03:00 PM
Hi everyone

I look around at the issues people have to cope with here, and my problem is trivial by comparison. But I searched on the subject and I find mentions but no post specific to neck spasms so if there are any tips they might be helpful to others.

I get very sharp cramps down the right side of my neck. The pain is an 8-9 and it lasts for 10-20 minutes. No amount of rubbing or head movement provides any relief.

Are there any tips for fixing this?
Posted By: OzMojo Re: Neck Spasms - 07-17-2020 03:08 AM
I did follow up with my GP on this. The condition is called occipital neuralgia. Basically its nerve pain, and its not uncommon. The causes vary but she thinks if it was caused by the trauma from the rads it would have surfaced earlier than this. Treatment is a nerve blocking med and physio.

So nothing too sinister we'll just chalk this one up to growing old.
Posted By: tristeve Re: Neck Spasms - 01-26-2021 05:25 PM
I am about 11 years out of treatment, doing OK, regular issues many of us have. I did get neck pain. Sometimes so bad it would drop me to my knees. I started doing neck strengthen exercise and it resolved it. At first I would just lay on my back and raise my head. After a while I got a wrestlers head weight and did daily neck exercises. It did the trick, no pain for years

good luck!

Steve
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum