Posted By: peace4uall pectoral denervation - 07-18-2016 11:34 PM
Hello, I am back to the site after many years...I am doing well after jaw reconstruction. I am 9 1/2 years out now and saying prayers. My ENT recently left for another institution and I have a new ENT. Very likeable and knowledgeable. He suggested that I have pectoral denervation because my pectoral muscle is so large under my chin (and very uncomfortable). He said this is normally done during the surgery, but for some reason, mine was not severed. This will cause muscle atrophy which will lesson the swelling inside and outside of my mouth. Simple outpatient with no anesthesia - just a local. After several years, I am going to do it. Just wondered if anyone had any experience. I am nervous it may do harm to my flap, although he has assured me it will not...
Posted By: ChristineB Re: pectoral denervation - 07-19-2016 02:01 AM
Welcome back smile

Since you have had radiation, any surgery afterward could have healing issues which can cause even bigger issues. Proceed with caution! I suggest finding a top notch ENT for a second opinion before undergoing any surgery like this.

Please keep us posted on how you make out. Best wishes!!!!
Posted By: peace4uall Re: pectoral denervation - 07-19-2016 12:49 PM
Thanks Christine,

I only had 3 doses of radiation due to my throat closing. I have had some other minor things done with no issues. I had not thought about it, but I don't think it will be an issue. I will certainly check into it now.

Thanks!
Posted By: peace4uall Re: pectoral denervation - 07-23-2016 12:28 AM
Checked with surgeon and radiation will not be a problem. I have had some dental work also with no problems. My only concern is how it may effect my flap. Wishing someone had some experience in this area. Apparently, the muscles are usually severed during intial surgery, however I had a failed flalp and had to have emergency surgery...almost did not make it. I am sure they wanted to give me every chance at the time, which should make it ok now to do it. Just checking to see if anyone had any knowledge in that area...
Posted By: peace4uall Re: pectoral denervation - 09-29-2016 11:34 PM
Hello, Just to update, I had the procedure and all is well! My swelling has gone down on my cheek by leaps and bounds. I can turn my head and feel a little better about the way I look too. Had a follow up visit today, and all looked well. He said the swelling will continue to abate as the muscle continues to atrophy.

Just wanted to let anyone know who may have this issue. It will probably be one in a million, but here are my experiences to help!

Thanks to all
Posted By: PaulB Re: pectoral denervation - 09-30-2016 08:10 PM
Thanks for the update, and the sound advise given by Christine. I'm sure it will help those in a similar situation.
Posted By: Jo in NC Re: pectoral denervation - 10-07-2016 01:02 AM
Such great news that your procedure went so well ! Thanks for the update and please do stop in anytime !
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum