Posted By: Uptown Seizure - 11-04-2015 12:46 AM
After struggling since January with heart rate and blood pressure issues, I reached a point mid September of amazing stability. Then out of the clear blue, I had my first seizure ever last Friday. It seems to be caused by baroreceptor dysfunction. What a wild thing to happen.
Posted By: BrianPK Re: Seizure - 11-04-2015 02:16 PM
Ugh, sorry to hear this... Is this a normal post treatment issue?

Posted By: Uptown Re: Seizure - 11-04-2015 05:25 PM
Anyone with radiation to the carotids is a candidate.
Posted By: Alpaca Re: Seizure - 11-05-2015 07:57 AM
Are you okay now, Uptown? You have such a vital online voice which I always find reassuring. Here's to no more seizures!
Posted By: travelottie Re: Seizure - 11-05-2015 01:08 PM
Uptown,

I'm so upset to hear this - I am upset for you and all long term survivors.

My husband had a go-around with neurology for numerous symptoms a few years ago (sudden numbness in hand, pain & numbness one side of face and one side of head, etc.). Routine neuro testing was negative. It all stopped before further investigation was required. I think radiation is probably the culprit.

Have you found out any more? I know you have been struggling with severe rad SE. Did you already know about this dysfunction? Please let us know how you are doing.
Lottie

Posted By: PaulB Re: Seizure - 11-05-2015 11:16 PM
Sorry to hear of your troubles, and hopefully your doctors find a way not to have it re-ocurr or are able to stabilize.
Posted By: donfoo Re: Seizure - 11-06-2015 05:16 AM
Ed,

So sorry to hear about the seizure. For those of us who don't know about your recent complications, what is going on? Is it a symptom associated with the state of your general health? As we have followed the ongoing concern about fluctuating blood pressure, is there some other treatment that can get this more under control?

Praying the best for you Ed,

Don
Posted By: Uptown Re: Seizure - 11-08-2015 09:40 PM
It's a progressive issue with baroreceptor dysfunction. My heart rate and blood pressure finally stabilized around mid September. 2 weeks ago my house was hit by lightning and a week ago I had trouble standing without almost blacking out then out of nowhere the orthostatic hypertension went right into a siezure from blood flow in the carotids not feeding the brain. The lightheadedness started around 2009 and keeps worsening. All from late effects of radiation.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum