Posted By: AnitaFrances Surgery Number 13 - 07-11-2014 10:37 PM
Well, friends, my hubby is scheduled for another surgery on Monday to repair a broken jaw. Two weeks ago, he had an infection brewing in the same area of his fistula. While eating breakfast one morning, he heard a pop and experienced excruciating pain. Off to the Emergency Department where it was determined he had broken his jaw. Thank you radiation, for killing the cancer cells but, darn it, you have stealthily sneaked in once again to remind us that you are the gift that keeps on giving! His surgery is on Monday. The big question is: did the infection cause the break or did the break result in infection. The surgeon will know what he has to do once he gets in there. Geez, can my man ever get a break?

I know many of you out there have been right where Clark is today and I write knowing that you all get it. But I need to hear you. Please send me some encouraging words. I NEEED them NOW! He is totally bummed out and discouraged. There is a bit of the unknown here as his anatomy is sooooo different from the norm. But I know we are in a good place---HUP.But this is an efffin drag. Geez, he has been drinking ALL his meals, he is in PAIN, jaw is out of alignment....

I have been very quiet lately. But I have reached my limit and I am asking for support. Not doing FB this time...too public.

My best to you all�
Anita
Posted By: Maria Re: Surgery Number 13 - 07-11-2014 10:55 PM
Anita - so sorry to hear about this latest trouble! I am glad that the surgery is set for Monday, though. Jaw pain is just miserable. It sounds like you have confidence in the surgeon, though. It's funny - veterinary surgeons seem to have a similar personality to the human variety - a good deal of confidence (some would call it ego). But they can do some pretty amazing things.
Best wishes over the weekend!
Maria
Posted By: AnitaFrances Re: Surgery Number 13 - 07-11-2014 11:05 PM
Thank you for responding, Maria. I just need some encouraging words right now. This is a never ending battle.
Posted By: Susan2992 Re: Surgery Number 13 - 07-11-2014 11:16 PM
Anita,

I am so sorry to hear this. Wow, surgery #13. What are they going to do to repair his jaw?

My problems have been minor compared to what Clark has gone through, but I can certainly understand how he feels. It seems I take one step forward and solve one issue and they have another one crop up. It really is a drag isn't it?

You are at an excellent hospital with a great doctor, so I'm sure Clark will be fine. Clark is lucky to have you in his corner as I know you will take great care of him.

Is he up to doing something special this weekend? Even if it is just a walk in the park, or a ride through the countryside. And don't forget to take time for yourself!

You both are in my thoughts and prayers. Please update when you have a chance after the surgery.
Posted By: AnitaFrances Re: Surgery Number 13 - 07-11-2014 11:39 PM
Hi, Susan,

Years ago, Clark had a fracture that was encased in scar tissue and was stable. It seems that this fracture is in the new bone from the fibular graft. The plan is to stabilize the bones with a metal plate and also to remove the fistula. The big unknown is the condition of the bone given the infectious process. If the bone is infected, then there will be an different plan at a later date. I hate the "unknown".

Thanks for responding! I love how my buddies rally!

best�
Anita
Posted By: Karen Rose Re: Surgery Number 13 - 07-12-2014 12:12 AM

Hi Anita

So very sorry to hear about Clark�s jaw! I truly feel for him. His condition is especially difficult and painful on top of his current day to day challenges.

Best wishes for a successful surgery and smooth recovery.

Thinking of you both!
Karen
Posted By: PaulB Re: Surgery Number 13 - 07-12-2014 12:40 AM
My positive thoughts are with both of you, Anita, and may the surgeon find the best way to resolve this, and hope the appropriate medications ease the pain.
Posted By: travelottie Re: Surgery Number 13 - 07-12-2014 12:59 AM
Anita,

This is much more than anyone should have to endure. I hear you and feel how awful this must be. You are right and we agree - this stinks.

Do you need anti-anxiety meds, especially during this waiting time?

I will be thinking about both of you,
Lottie
Posted By: Uptown Re: Surgery Number 13 - 07-12-2014 03:11 AM
Anita, I am so sorry you and Clark are faced with this. Sending you some hugs and love.
Posted By: ZendaT Re: Surgery Number 13 - 07-12-2014 03:30 AM
Anita,

I'm so sorry that you and Clark are going through this. I too have a broken mandible brought on by ORN and an infection. Mine was pathologic and occurred around May 19. I am now in hyperbaric oxygen therapy again and will have "debridement" surgery after 20 dives, followed by another 10 dives. My mandible and fistulas had been pretty stable for several years. I may have avoided a break had I been on the infection as soon as it showed up, but I didn't begin ABT for about a week. My Oral Surgeon said that WBCs will arrive on the scene and will go after weak bone as well as damaged tissue. I don't have pain fortunately. My docs agree that a break was probably inevitable, "just a matter of time."

I wish I could offer more than my wishes for a successful surgery and recovery. You are so right about the "gift" of radiation. There seems always to be a new challenge around the corner.
Posted By: AnitaFrances Re: Surgery Number 13 - 07-12-2014 09:03 PM
I thank you all for your encouragement. We found out late yesterday that Clark's surgery may NOT happen on Monday but moved to Thursday. Isn't that fabulous? NOT...there was some snafu on the pre-admission stuff.

We will be fine. It is just a freaking drag for Clark to have to wait. I know I can always count on you all for support. Thank you all for being there. I was so down when I first wrote this thread. Today is better.

Best�
Anita
Posted By: Uptown Re: Surgery Number 13 - 07-12-2014 09:31 PM
I'm glad today is better for you, Anita. I'm always here for you and Clark.
Posted By: tamvonk Re: Surgery Number 13 - 07-13-2014 01:48 AM
Hello Anita. Poor Clark and poor you. Vent here all you like. We get it. I also feel it's better here than letting our " men" know how upset we are. Sometimes we just want life to give us a break and run smoothly.
So, I hope all goes smoothly with Clarks surgery. That he heals well and is home with you in double quick time.
Take care of yourself,
Tammy
Posted By: Gabe Re: Surgery Number 13 - 07-13-2014 02:29 AM
Anita I am so sorry to read that Clark is again in the "wars".
Best wishes for his surgery on Thursday and subsequent recovery and healing.
Love
Gabriele
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Surgery Number 13 - 07-13-2014 02:58 AM
Im so sorry to read this thread Anita! Poor Clark has been thru so much over such a long period of time. I dont know how you managed to carry on thru everything with such grace.

Best wishes with the surgery!!! Please post and let us know how it turns out.

(((HUGS)))
Posted By: davidcpa Re: Surgery Number 13 - 07-13-2014 02:12 PM
Everyone HATES the wait.
Posted By: OzMojo Re: Surgery Number 13 - 07-13-2014 03:01 PM
Hi Anita

I'm both inspired and terrified when I see some of the signature blocks in this place. I've gone through the worst days of my live in the past few months but I'm just a newbie. People like you and Clark are heroes who inspire me every day.

Thoughts and prayers for a smooth surgery.
Posted By: slim Re: Surgery Number 13 - 07-13-2014 09:47 PM
Hi Anita.

I haven't been on here for a long time and today something told me to check in. I'm so, so sorry to read about Clark's surgery. frown You have both been through so much and it's just not fair! I can only imagine the fear you have. The not knowing is always the worst. If you want to meet for a glass of wine send me a FB message. I'm here for you sister! Hugs - Wanda
Posted By: AnitaFrances Re: Surgery Number 13 - 07-14-2014 01:28 PM
Good news! Clark is having his surgery TODAY at 2:30 pm. Yeah, celebrating surgery sounds weird but he was to be bumped to Thursday, so we are so glad to get this done sooner.

Thank you all for your encouragement, empathy and cheerleading! This means the world to me. My heart is full with your kindness and concern.I will post an update after Clark's procedure.

Love to you all�
Anita
Posted By: Maria Re: Surgery Number 13 - 07-14-2014 05:12 PM
Will be thinking you and Clark this afternoon.
Maria
Posted By: tamvonk Re: Surgery Number 13 - 07-15-2014 01:12 AM
I hope and trust that all has gone well and that Clark is now resting comfortably.
Be kind to yourself too.
Tammy
Posted By: AnitaFrances Re: Surgery Number 13 - 07-16-2014 09:47 PM
Clark had his surgery and all went well. The only thing now is that he will have to be on pureed food for 6 months. NO MORE CHEWING. I saw the xray and he has a plate keeping everything aligned. Chewing provided enough tork on the fibular graft that it eventually broke. Also, no more stretching exercises either. Too much pressure on those fibular grafts.

He has very little pain and the fistula is gone. Some swelling but the incision looks good.

I am looking ahead and will be ordering a Vita-Mix. I have a few cookbooks to help me create tasty pureed meals. I remember Charm loved his Vita-Mix. He had all his meals prepared in one.

I want to make a lasagne with the ingredients pureed and layered. My son told me to make one in a large pan so we could all eat with Clark. That made me feel so good. Instead of making a special one for Clark and a different one for everyone else. That was a beautiful example of empathy, I almost cried.

Thank you all for your support. No one gets it like you do. I am so lucky to have my OCF buddies to lift me up when things get tough. Going to take a nap. I am beat.

Posted By: Maria Re: Surgery Number 13 - 07-16-2014 09:58 PM
Great news, Anita! I am so glad the pain is much improved new that things are re-aligned. Remember to take care of yourself, too!
Maria
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Surgery Number 13 - 07-16-2014 10:40 PM
Anita, I was hoping to see an update today. Im so glad everything went smoothly. Hope Clark is able to bounce back quickly. Best wishes to you both. Im sure it is a huge relief having this over with.
Posted By: ZendaT Re: Surgery Number 13 - 07-16-2014 10:53 PM
Marvelous news, Anita. You and Clark will love your Vita-Mix.
Posted By: travelottie Re: Surgery Number 13 - 07-17-2014 02:47 AM
It's a great relief to hear from you that the surgery went well.
Hoping for a smooth recovery.
Posted By: slim Re: Surgery Number 13 - 07-17-2014 01:38 PM
[quote=AnitaFrances]Clark had his surgery and all went well. The only thing now is that he will have to be on pureed food for 6 months. NO MORE CHEWING. I saw the xray and he has a plate keeping everything aligned. Chewing provided enough tork on the fibular graft that it eventually broke. Also, no more stretching exercises either. Too much pressure on those fibular grafts.

He has very little pain and the fistula is gone. Some swelling but the incision looks good.

I am looking ahead and will be ordering a Vita-Mix. I have a few cookbooks to help me create tasty pureed meals. I remember Charm loved his Vita-Mix. He had all his meals prepared in one.

I want to make a lasagne with the ingredients pureed and layered. My son told me to make one in a large pan so we could all eat with Clark. That made me feel so good. Instead of making a special one for Clark and a different one for everyone else. That was a beautiful example of empathy, I almost cried.

Thank you all for your support. No one gets it like you do. I am so lucky to have my OCF buddies to lift me up when things get tough. Going to take a nap. I am beat.

[/quote]

Hi Anita. So happy to hear the surgery went well. Hopefully Clark heals well and has no complications. Costco sells the Vitamix. I'm a member if you would want me to get one for you. Hugs - Wanda
Posted By: davidcpa Re: Surgery Number 13 - 07-18-2014 01:10 PM
so what happened?
Posted By: Susan2992 Re: Surgery Number 13 - 07-18-2014 04:26 PM
Hi Anita,

I'm really glad that Clark had his surgery and that all went well. Now onto the healing process, but with you in his corner I know he is well taken care of.

After my blender broke once again, I bought a Vita-Mix a few months ago. I ordered thru the Vita-Mix website, but you can also get them thru Amazon and the TV home shopping networks. The ones offered on the TV show are a different model and I'm not really sure which is best. I mainly use it to make protein shakes. I recall that Charm used his everyday and loved it. They are expensive, but worth it.

Keeping you both in my thoughts and prayers!

Posted By: Uptown Re: Surgery Number 13 - 07-18-2014 04:35 PM
Great news Anita! Don't forget the discount Vita Mix offers for health reasons.
Posted By: PaulB Re: Surgery Number 13 - 07-18-2014 05:28 PM
I have a Vitamix, centrifical juicer, and a food processor, each good for different things, and anticipate using them more often.
Posted By: AnitaFrances Re: Surgery Number 13 - 07-18-2014 05:38 PM
Thank you everyone for the info on the Vita-Mix.

Wanda, I have seen them at Costco. Do you know if they are the same as on the website?

The whole texture thing in pureed foods is a little hard for Clark to get used to. I remember seeing a recipe for Lasagne where all the ingredients were prepared separately then layered as you would normally. For the life of me, I cannot locate it. Has anyone else seen this or used this same recipe?

I also see that a lot of recipes use Thicken Up to give the food more body. I'm going to try this, too. I added unflavored protein powder to oatmeal and it worked well.

Amazing the things you learn to do, huh?
Posted By: AnitaFrances Re: Surgery Number 13 - 07-18-2014 06:11 PM
I found the recipe! It was through the Oncology Department at HUP.

Pureed Lasagna

Ingredients:
2c whole milk ricotta cheese
1 8oz bag whole milk mozzarella cheese
1-1 � lb mild Italian sausage
1 jar spaghetti sauce (not chunky)
12-16 lasagna noodles
3 tbsp. olive oil
2 tsp. oregano
2 tsp. garlic powder

Instructions:
1. Preheat oven to 350� F.
2. Boil lasagna noodles, drain and set aside.
3. Remove casing from sausage. Saut� sausage over medium-high heat in
a frying pan until brown (no longer pink). Remove from heat and set aside.
4. Mix ricotta, mozzarella, oregano and garlic powder in a separate bowl.

5. Puree sausage in a food processor. Mix pureed sausage and the whole
jar of spaghetti sauce together in a separate bowl.
6. Spoon sauce/sausage mixture into a 2-3qt baking dish, covering the
bottom.
7. Place 4-5 lasagna noodles in the food processor. Add 2 tsp olive oil (to
prevent sticking). Puree noodles. Sprinkle pureed noodles over sauce in
baking dish, enough to cover the sauce.
8. Spread cheese mixture (about 1c) over noodles in baking dish.
9. Repeat steps 6, 7 and 8 until baking dish is nearly full�ending with sauce.
Sprinkle any left over mozzarella over top of sauce layer.
10. Bake at 350� F for 1 hour covered. Remove from heat, let stand 5 minutes
then ENJOY!!!

Nutritional information:
Yields about 9 servings
385 calories per serving (1/9 of lasagna)
26g protein per serving
Posted By: AnitaFrances Re: Surgery Number 13 - 08-02-2014 03:23 AM
An update: Clark had his stitches removed yesterday and he is healing very well. That pesky fistula was a result of a piece of bone that had broken off the graft. After a month, we will see if work can begin on gently moving his jaw back into position. It will be a series of hooks and rubber bands as they use in orthodontia. No guarantees but things are looking up.

Thank you all for your support and encouragement. Love my OCF Buddies!
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Surgery Number 13 - 08-02-2014 01:38 PM
Thanks wonderful news, Anita! Clark certainly has been thru the wringer. Congrats on a successful surgery!!! Let the healing begin.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum