Posted By: gmcraft Lost the battle but not the war - 01-16-2016 02:15 PM
John passed yesterday morning. He was referred to the palliative care team after the MO found new growths in his lungs and swollen nodes in his airway in early November. He had a fall at home last Thursday and fractured two ribs. The next day, pneumonia returned. The pneumonia was a problem he had been fighting off-and-on since early July. He was admitted to hospital on Saturday and his condition quickly deteriorated. He breathed his last early yesterday morning with me and his son by his side. It was quiet, peaceful and there was no pain.

I am very proud that he fought a long, hard but valiant battle and for his contribution to the research and treatment of head and neck cancer by his participation in two clinical trials and a groundbreaking procedure for opening up an esophagus closed by strictures resulting from radiation. No one could have asked him to fight harder.

The nurses at the palliative care unit were exceptional. They took me through step by step the last two days of John's life so that I knew what to expect. They are models of knowledge and compassion.

I have learned so much from my participation in this group. One of my first posts was "What do I need to have ready at home in preparation for treatment?" I have come a long way from those days, thanks to all who have posted and responded. Sometimes even what may seem like a minor detail ended up making a huge difference for me as a caregiver. There is indeed power in knowledge.

I wish all of you who are reading this well. You are my second family and whatever one feels for one's family, I feel for you.
Posted By: Bob Whyte Re: Lost the battle but not the war - 01-16-2016 10:05 PM
My condolences on your loss he was a true Warrior1!! Semper-Fi Bob
Posted By: tamvonk Re: Lost the battle but not the war - 01-16-2016 10:43 PM
Oh Gloria. I am so sorry and saddened to read this. Both you and John have been inspirational to me the last few years. John lead the way in Immunotherapy trials for us all and I always looked out for your posts and updates.
You yourself have been a role model . An amazingly positive Caregiver and a wonderful advocate for John.
Whenever I have faced challenges, I remember your quote and I have adjusted my sails.
Take care.
Tammy
Posted By: PaulB Re: Lost the battle but not the war - 01-17-2016 12:14 AM
I'm also very saddened to hear this, Gloria. You and John were both an inspiration, and supportive to many here in many ways, including myself.
Posted By: donfoo Re: Lost the battle but not the war - 01-17-2016 12:37 AM
Gloria,

I am sorry to hear the news of the loss of another warrior in this terrible battle. He did contribute much to advance the path to discover cures for this disease.

We are family here and hope you stay close and near to us. This place is forever home to you.

Don
Posted By: Hockeydad Re: Lost the battle but not the war - 01-17-2016 02:20 AM
I am sad to hear of John's passing. But I am glad to hear he passed comfortable with you and his son by his side. Thanks for your sharing and caring.
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Lost the battle but not the war - 01-17-2016 02:46 AM
Gloria, I am so very sorry!!! You have been an excellent caregiver for your husband, John. May he rest in peace, free from pain and sickness. I hope that in time, you can look back and remember happier, healthier times, finding comfort in those memories.

((((HUGS))))
Posted By: travelottie Re: Lost the battle but not the war - 01-17-2016 02:50 AM
Gloria,

I hated reading this sad news. I have your quote memorized and have referred to it often for perspective and strength. You and John have been an amazing team.

Lottie

Posted By: someguyjeff Re: Lost the battle but not the war - 01-19-2016 07:05 AM
I am saddened to hear about this. My prayers are with you and your family. Thank you and John for all the help for the cancer community and for us on the forum who learn from the posts.
Posted By: TheHellion Re: Lost the battle but not the war - 01-19-2016 12:37 PM
Gloria,

I am truly so very sorry for your loss and I am literally at a loss for words. My deepest condolences.

This news hit me hard and I am deeply sorry for your loss. You and John have been so inspirational with your indefatigueable spirit and unquenchable enthusiasm. I cannot even begin to tell you the number of times I have thought of you guys fighting and winning when I have felt down and felt sorry for myself.

I have said repeatedly that you guys are an inspiration to everyone here, and I think I speak for everyone when I say we all thank you for sharing your story with such earnestness and we are all mourning with you.

I wish I had better words of comfort to offer - you are in our thoughts.

The Hellion

Posted By: Neicy Re: Lost the battle but not the war - 01-19-2016 09:02 PM
I am sorry to hear of the loss of John. I remember reading your posts when I was new and scared out of my mind. They were always inspirational. I wish you and your family all the best.
Denise
Posted By: HorseGirl Re: Lost the battle but not the war - 01-19-2016 09:06 PM
Gloria, I'm so very sorry to hear about John. I, too, drew strength and comfort as a caregiver from your insight, your love for John, and John's courageous life. What remarkable people! I'll be thinking of you.
Posted By: Nancy14 Re: Lost the battle but not the war - 01-20-2016 05:18 PM
Gloria - I am so sorry for John's passing and send my prayers to you and your family. You and John both supported each other and also all of us on this site. You and he, did indeed, make an everlasting contribution in your journey, fight and involvement with head and neck cancers. I have shared, with all of my doctors, his story of never giving up the quest to open his throat to swallow again, which he achieved through perseverance and willingness to be part of the frontier for so many of us. For that, we are all thankful.

The journey has shifted a bit for you - with the loss of John - may you find some comfort, peace and rest.

My sincere sympathy,
Nancy
Posted By: gmcraft Re: Lost the battle but not the war - 01-21-2016 12:02 AM
I would like to thank everyone for their kind support. Like John's son said at the very end, "My dad is defiant to the very end." That was the spirit that guided him through those three years.

Keep,well, everyone.
Posted By: nancyjg Re: Lost the battle but not the war - 01-21-2016 01:26 AM
Gloria I too am so sorry to hear about your husbands passing. He was a beacon of hope to me as I read your posts. You are such a strong supportive person. As my husband continues his battle I will try to be as strong and supportive as you always seemed to be. Best of luck to you. Nancy G
Posted By: Alpaca Re: Lost the battle but not the war - 01-24-2016 11:10 PM
Gloria, I want to add my condolences. I have always appreciated your posts.
Posted By: Susan2992 Re: Lost the battle but not the war - 01-28-2016 04:22 AM
Gloria, I am so very sorry to hear about John's passing. You were a knowledgeable and excellent caregiver and a valued member of the OCF family. My deepest sympathy to you and the rest of your family.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum