Posted By: ChristineB Its a sad day - 05-14-2014 02:53 PM
It is with a heavy heart Im writing this post. The world has lost one of its great ones!

Our beloved EzJim passed away peacefully around 3am early this morning. Jim had a long hard battle with both oral cancer and all of the terrible after effects. He endured several surgeries, never losing his wonderful sense of humor. Jim was recently diagnosed with mets to the lungs. He fought right up until the end. Jim's last couple days were spent in hospice where he was kept comfortable and surrounded with what was most important to him, his large family.

Jim's daughter, Lori called me earlier this morning to give me the sad news. We talked for a while, reminiscing about how well loved her father was. During the last year, Jim struggled to use the computer so was not as active on the forum as he had been years ago.

Rest in peace, my friend. I will see you when I get there.
Posted By: gmcraft Re: Its a sad day - 05-14-2014 02:57 PM
I'm so sad to hear of Jim's passing. I read a lot of his posts after I joined the forum and was aware that he was having a really hard time. I would like to extend my condolences to his daughter and to his family. Rest in peace, Jim.
Posted By: Bart Re: Its a sad day - 05-14-2014 04:31 PM
I too am very sad to red this, EzJim was always a beam of light in a dark place, and always had a way of cheering up those deep in that darkness.

A bright star and a rare talent gone. We shall miss you, EzJim, for a long time.

Rest in Peace, brother.
Posted By: kenswife Re: Its a sad day - 05-14-2014 04:44 PM
So sad to read this! He always had such helpful comments. I am happy he is now pain free and at peace. He is a hero on my eyes for all he endured.
Posted By: Uptown Re: Its a sad day - 05-14-2014 06:13 PM
A sad day, indeed, losing another.

Sail on, brother. You're free!
Posted By: julieann Re: Its a sad day - 05-14-2014 06:22 PM
How sad. Christine, thank you for letting us know. I had read on Facebook that he was having problems, but didn't hear about his passing until I just checked in and read your post. Please tell his family how much we all loved him and his humor and helpful tips to us when we posted. As you remember, I corresponded with him via email on several occasions telling him about my problems, and he always replied to me with ideas I could try. I remember when I told him about not being able to swallow very well, he gave me his recipe for making a big pot of bean soup that he could eat since he had far worse problems than I with swallowing. May he rest in peace and know that we will always remember him.
julieann
Posted By: Pandora99 Re: Its a sad day - 05-14-2014 06:42 PM
Well said Christine. Hugs to all who knew and loved him.

Donna
Posted By: ngk Re: Its a sad day - 05-14-2014 11:24 PM
Very sad to hear about the passing away of EzJim. I pray his family knows what a help he has been to others and that he will be remembered mostly lovingly.
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Its a sad day - 05-14-2014 11:45 PM
Jims family knows how well loved he was. Years ago I had talked with his daughter after one of her fathers many surgeries. Back then we had talked about how far reaching his presence was. This morning I told her again that Jim has touched hundreds of lives all over the world. His posts will live on for years to come. Jim will be missed by so many, he was truly one of a kind.
Posted By: AnitaFrances Re: Its a sad day - 05-15-2014 12:23 AM
What a sad say this is. Jim was a great guy who appreciated the little things in life. I loved when he would write about working in his yard and the meals he made for himself. He was so funny, too. His typos were hilarious! He offered me much support when the days were dark. Rest in Peace, Buddy.
Posted By: Kerri Re: Its a sad day - 05-15-2014 03:24 AM
I'm so deeply saddened to hear of Jim's passing. He was always there for the "newbies" and the "recurrence club" members...everyone, really. He had a lot of insight and experience to share. Though I did not know him well, I will never forget his ever-presence on these boards.

Rest in peace, Jim.

Posted By: Anne-Marie Re: Its a sad day - 05-15-2014 08:40 AM
So sorry to hear of Jim's passing. His presence and compassionate way of encouraging others were always a bright spot in my day. I loved his humor and positivity and his entertaining typos! Everything about Jim was genuine. He will be missed for a long time to come.
Posted By: travelottie Re: Its a sad day - 05-15-2014 11:37 AM
I knew of EzJim's continuing struggles and admired that he still reached out to others. He was a regular on the boards, six years ago, when I first joined. There was so much he could have complained about but he didn't seem to become bitter. He once sent a supporting PM to me when I hadn't even asked a question.

I'm relieved to know that hospice was able to help him at the end. He certainly deserved some comfort after so much hardship.

With condolences to his family,
Lottie

Posted By: davidcpa Re: Its a sad day - 05-15-2014 12:53 PM
A lot of us spent many many hours "talking" to Jim and I for sure will miss his bantering back n forth.

So long ole friend.
Posted By: Dragan Re: Its a sad day - 05-15-2014 01:36 PM
I'm deeply saddened to hear this. I know some of you will remember when Jim first arrived, and the urging of his then-girlfriend? (my recollection...may/may not have the relationship correct). I remember welcoming a reluctant, somewhat negative, pragmatic man who had "come to grips" with cancer, and was "O.K." with it taking his life.

It took a while for him to begin to change, but change he did. Watching him, and talking with him as he continued his journey with the Beast, I saw an amazing transformation...the more difficulty he faced, the more determined he became. Determination to be positive, to become more educated on the latest roadblock, to develop countless changes in approach to his "new normal"

I remember Jim saying he KNEW cancer would end his life. I also remember him being convinced that it would do that quickly, within 6 months of him joining us here...more than six YEARS ago.

Safe travels, & happy trails to you, EZJIM. You gave me something I needed badly all those years ago; someone to champion, someone to help, and in doing so help myself. You played a big role in my adjusting to my new normal which at the time, I wasn't sure I COULD fully adjust to. In the years that followed, you gave me an example, many times over that living life richly, even after oral cancer was a very "do-able" thing to do. You'll be missed, my friend
Posted By: Pandora99 Re: Its a sad day - 05-15-2014 03:11 PM
Here is Jim's Obituary which was posted in the Wheeler Funeral Home's site. You can leave condolences and memories there if you like.
http://www.wheelerfuneralhomes.com/Obituaries

James E. "Jim" Westling
February 21, 1936 - May 14, 2014

James E. �Jim� Westling, 78, of Mingo Junction, Ohio passed away Wednesday May 14, 2014 at the Valley Hospice Care Center North in Steubenville, Ohio. He was born February 21, 1936 in Steubenville, Ohio, a son of the late John and Anna Marie (Futey) Westling. In addition to his parents he was preceded in death by a son, James R. Westling on July 4, 2011; and three brothers, Clifford �Kip�, George and John Westling. Jim retired in 1984 from Wheeling Pittsburgh Steel Corp., where he worked as a yardmaster in the Railroad Department. He served his country in the U.S. Air Force during the Korean Conflict and was in the Presidential Air Force Honor Guard. He was the former mayor of New Alexandria; a member of the Smithfield Masonic Lodge #182 and the Brilliant American Legion Post 573. Surviving are a son, Ryan (Jamie) Westling of Wintersville, Ohio; two daughters, Lori (Todd) Burnett of New Alexandria, Ohio and Sue (Joe) Malmisur of Cortland, Ohio; the mother of his children, Bette Westling of New Alexandria, Ohio; a brother, Russell (Sherry) Westling of Dillonville, Ohio; two sisters, Carol (Harold) Cunningham and Regina (Douglas) Patterson both of Mingo Junction; thirteen grandchildren, Amanda (John) Wright, Megan (Dustin) Hendricks, Donnie (Lindsay) Mayse, Brianna, Gabrielle, and Jake Marker, Kaitlyn, Kali, Dylan, Landen, Cooper Westling, and Brock and Eva Burnett; and five great-grandchildren. Friends will be received on Friday from 5-8 p.m. at the Wheeler Funeral Home, 712 Third St., Brilliant, where his funeral services will be held on Saturday at 11:00 a.m. with Rev. Bill Westling, officiating. Interment will follow at New Alexandria Cemetery, with Military Honors by the Ohio Valley Veterans Memorial Squad. There will be a Masonic Service on Friday at 6:30 p.m. Memorial contributions may be directed in Jim's name to The Oral Cancer Foundation, 3419 Via Lido # 205 Newport Beach, CA 92663 or online at OCF's online donations Offer condolences at www.wheelerfuneralhomes.com

Visitation

Friends will be received on Friday from 5-8 p.m. at the Wheeler Funeral Home, 712 Third St., Brilliant Masonic Service 6:30pm on Friday

Services

Wheeler Funeral Home, 712 Third St., Brilliant Saturday at 11:00 a.m.
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Its a sad day - 05-15-2014 03:25 PM
Im hoping everyone will post a condolence on Jim's obituary. His family was very generous to have donations to OCF in lieu of flowers. Please add (OCF) after your name so his family will know just how many friends he had here. Jim touched hundreds of lives thru this forum. He will be greatly missed by so many.
Posted By: David2 Re: Its a sad day - 05-15-2014 03:26 PM
Jim left a big footprint here at OCF. I always pictured him out in the yard mowing his lawn. He was a lively guy and I'll miss his posts. He fought the good fight with humor and a great attitude.
Posted By: julieann Re: Its a sad day - 05-15-2014 03:37 PM
Hi Christine:

Thanks for sending us his obituary. Do you know, or can you find out, an address that we can send a condolence card to his family?

Thank you so much.
julieann
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Its a sad day - 05-16-2014 01:35 PM
If anyone is making a donation in lieu of flowers to honor EzJim, make sure you put his name in the comments section at the checkout.

At this time, his family has not set up a memorial in Jim's name.

Thank you for any contributions!
Posted By: PaulB Re: Its a sad day - 05-16-2014 06:48 PM
Sorry to hear of the loss of ezJim. Although I didn't know him, I read many of his prior posts, which I'm sure has helped many with this disease as it did for me. May he RIP.
Posted By: Gabe Re: Its a sad day - 05-18-2014 06:52 AM
It says that Jim made 5,260 posts and he joined 2 months before I did.
I read most of them, sometimes laughing, sometimes smiling at his wonderful way with words. Sometimes just sad that he was having such a hard time of it.
I considered myself one of his angels and will miss him greatly.
No longer in pain Rest in Peace EzJim!
Love
Angel Gabriele
Posted By: Susan2992 Re: Its a sad day - 05-18-2014 04:26 PM
It is hard to believe EzJim is no longer with us. I pray he is now pain-free and able to enjoy all the food he was unable to eat in recent years.

Jim joined the forum about a year after me and I enjoyed reading his posts. He was always there to welcome the newbies and offer an encouraging word to all. His posts often made me laugh and despite his troubles he was there to support all his OCF friends.

RIP EzJim! My condolences to his family and all those who loved him. He will be missed.
Posted By: Trinity Re: Its a sad day - 05-18-2014 04:42 PM
What a sad day indeed, may Jim rest in peace frown
Posted By: Maria Re: Its a sad day - 05-24-2014 02:43 PM
Jim was a wonderful man, and will be greatly missed. We discussed the joys of being out on a tractor - big or little - in the spring. And that was part of his spirit - he did not let the darkness and pain of the cancer eclipse the beauty of the world and the love of his family and friends. I guess the term for that is 'framily' now, and he did have a very large one.
Maria
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum