Posted By: darkeyedlady0 good food - 10-23-2008 04:58 PM
Hi I am not sure if this sort of thing has been posted already but it in my opinion is worth a second try. When I first came home from hospital my friend made me the best home made soup. I enjoyed it and it kinda happened by accident although others have probably done it it is not that far off the board.
So now I cheat...I love cream of broccoli soup but not quite thick enough..at the time she had made cream of broccoli and cauliflower and cheese and made mashed potatoes...we got this brilliant idea and mixed them all together the soups and the mashed potatoes...WOW

like I said now I cheat i use campbells cream of broccoli soup and add a tin of milk and mashed potatoes ....mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm it was sooooo good and just the right thickness...then last night Igot brave and added cheeze whizz...

Anyway that's my little kick to the food business

Also make a wicked omelet with cheese, cottage cheese and spinach dip...it makes the omelet slide a little easier...lol

Hope this isn't too old news but I guess if it is still being thought of it is good stuff...
Posted By: angels1313 Re: good food - 10-24-2008 01:58 AM
DarkeyedladyO, Thank you for listing the recipe on the cream of brocalli soup and cream potatoes and cheese. That sounds great and something I would be able to swallow and get some veg's down. I am craving food but can't eat much but soft things and Ensure. What I would give to have a big juscy steak and Lobster! I am going to get me some of the breakfast drink David speaks of soon. Today I had rads then chemo so it was a long day. see ya, Angel
Posted By: darkeyedlady0 Re: good food - 10-24-2008 03:05 AM
Your welcome...it is just something I fell in love with and you can have many varieties of soup adding mashed potatoes to any of the cream soup and the texture seems to be better...I got some cream of chicken, cream of celery and cream of mushroom gonna try all three maybe even mix them... I too crave the vegetables...I used to drink V8 but the tomato is a little difficult

Enjoy and take care...and keep up the good work
Posted By: Ginger_NYC Re: good food - 10-24-2008 05:51 PM
Thanks for this darkeyelady. I am searching the posts on behalf of my father who had stage 4 oral cancer and radiation, and is diabetic. His treatments concluded about 10 weeks ago and he is currently disinterested in food. Partly because of the loss of taste. If you have any other suggestions I would love to see them.
Posted By: darkeyedlady0 Re: good food - 10-24-2008 08:37 PM
Ginger being diabetic makes this surgery and further treatments difficult at best...I am insulin dependant so if I don't eat enough I have lows and it is hard to judge insullin dosage...I have never been so baffled have to keep sugars down to heal properly but yet you need enough calories to keep up strength without raising sugars...I have never had a doctor be so happy to hear I haven't lost weight...

Depending on what kind of diet he can have meaning how solid I will put my thinking cap on and it is a lot of trial and error too sometimes I think I want something make it take a few bites or spoonfuls and decide yuck not today...there are a lot of other people here with tricks too!!!

Give your dad hugs and tell him to keep trying...I also have false teeth so taste is hard considering top taste buds are covered and well the tongue is numb so I too have few taste buds..it does make things a bit blazee...A good member to ask about recipes is Christine and her famous peanut butter milkshakes they are a great way to get protien and tasty too cold so help with swelling...

Good luck
Dianne
Posted By: ChristineB Re: good food - 10-25-2008 04:32 AM

Sounds very good Dianne!!! Im getting hungry smile

Have you ever tried baked sweet potatoes or yams? They are very soft and easy to eat. Can top with several things like salt and butter/margerine, marshmallows, or brown sugar.

Posted By: azcallin Re: good food - 10-25-2008 04:46 AM
blended smoothies are a good standby when it is hard to swallow.
Posted By: ChristineB Re: good food - 10-25-2008 05:27 AM

Rita:

I almost forgot about those. Thanks for reminding me. Since its not summer with all the fresh fruit and berries, I havent made them in a while now.
Posted By: larryfb Re: good food - 10-25-2008 10:50 PM
hey DELO,

you are on to some of my favorite foods. i had a fried egg\cheese\mayo sandwich for lunch today.

at seafood restaurants, i often order a cup of cream of what ever soup that i use as a sauce on the seafood.

and i especially like butternut squash, boiled\creamed... smooth as silk, colorful and tasty.

cu,
larryb
Posted By: azcallin Re: good food - 10-26-2008 09:34 AM
i buy the frozen berries when they are not in season smile

another nutritious snack is freezing peeled bananas then bringing them out of freezer and mashing them - mix them with flavors such as chocolate syrup or strawberry ... makes a nice icecream treat that is more nutritious and helps with your potassium input smile

don't forget to add flax seed oil to your smoothies to keep up your omega 3 intake! smile

Posted By: Judy & Mike Re: good food - 10-27-2008 05:21 AM
oddly enough throughout my husband, mike's treatment he has been able to taste bacon (smokey flavor? animal fat? who knows) so we've added bacon bits to his scrambled eggs (that also included a tablespoon of powdered milk & heavy whip cream).

so knowing he liked (& could taste bacon) i picked up a can of campbells condensed bean & bacon soup at the market. i mix this up in the blender w/2 servings of tofu & instead of water, use chicken broth as the liquid. blend this up to a creamy consistentcy & heat up only 1 portion at a time, while refridgerating the remainder for the next day. the beans give him fiber, tofu provides added protein & the chicken broth provides a tad more fat than water.

another twist i tried along the same lines was blending a can of condensed cream of chicken & mushroom soup, w/a 15 oz can of white kidney beans & again the 2 servings of tofu & using chicken broth as the liquid.

a quick & easy veggie to prepare is zucchni. sliced thined or grated, steamed for a few minutes till soft, then add a bit of butter & seasoning to taste. a good way to get a serving of fresh veggies into your diet.

a dinner we both could enjoy together was browned ground beef mixed w/a can of manwhich (sloopy joe mix) over a very done soft baked potato & a side dish of zucchni.

i've doctored up a box of kraft mac & cheese, by mixing a 1/4 cup of alfredo sauce into his serving making it more creamy, in turn, easier to eat.

some tips: (1) meet w/a nutritionist that specializes in oncology & has experience was the needs of oral cancer patients. ours was a blessing--sharing samples, receipes & providing mike an indepth picture of his nutrition needs thru treatment & recovery.

(2) as a caregiver i knew my time away from mike was limited, so instead of shopping all over town as i had done before he began treatment, i decided to go to only one market, the closest one--this saved time (& fuel). it wasn't the cheapest, or the most expensive, but it did have everything we needed from groceries, paper goods, deli, etc. and a pharmacy whose staff always went the extra mile in preparing his prescriptions.

(3) purchase "experimental" foods in small quantities because today the taste buds like that food, but next week it will taste sour.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum