Posted By: n74tg Lemon Drops - 11-30-2013 02:51 PM
I was talking to another survivor about the horrible taste that lives in my mouth most of the time. Nothing seems to help get rid of it and it makes all food taste equally horrible.

She said a friend of hers used lemon drops to get rid of it. I picked some up, so far they seem to be working.

Tony
Posted By: donfoo Re: Lemon Drops - 11-30-2013 08:45 PM
Whatever one puts in their mouth to suck on to mask the off-taste or to promote saliva or for whatever reason, make sure it has no simple sugars as we are all subject to much higher dental disease.

I am still doing the background work to determine the efficacy of the various options thrown around as effective to combat post tx tooth decay. I'm not pursuing bone or tissues caused by radiation as there is not as much one can do to slow or alter the progression of ORN and other bone related issues.
Posted By: n74tg Re: Lemon Drops - 12-01-2013 03:08 AM
I guess I forgot to say that they are sugar free lemon drops, sweetened with splenda. I wish I could find some xylitol sweetened drops, but so far no go.

Tony
Posted By: xantippi Re: Lemon Drops - 01-21-2014 12:08 AM
Dear Don... What do you mean by what you said above... I quote
"I am still doing the background work to determine the efficacy of the various options thrown around as effective to combat post tx tooth decay.

I'm not pursuing bone or tissues caused by radiation as there is not as much one can do to slow or alter the progression of ORN and other bone related issues"

What??? What is ORN and what do you mean by that last sentence? Where can I go to find out more?

I have had 35 sessions of radiation specifically in my mouth for AdCC... and now I need to know what to expect with regard to tooth decay and how to deal with serious dental problems.

You have really pushed one of my buttons with your post and now I think I need to know more. A lot more.

Thank you in advance for your kind response and what ever info you have to share with me.

Thank you for your great work. I so appreciate that you are doing this both for yourself and sharing it with others.

Best in 2014 to you and yours
Posted By: xantippi Re: Lemon Drops - 01-21-2014 12:15 AM
Hey Don...

Looks as if we are neighbors of a sort. I too am in the SF/Bay Area... specifically in San Leandro... near to Oakland and Hayward.

I had my surgery done at UCSF on Post St., in San Francisco.

Very experienced surgeons. Loved those guys. My radiation treatments were done close by in Castro Valley... not at all crazy about THAT doctor. He gave me very little info about the radiation, what I could expect and what my future dental and oral problems could be.

So....! I am left knowing that I will never be able to have dental surgery again... and that is about all I know.

Anyway.... howdy neighbor... and let's connect via this website, sooner rather than later.

Thank you again for sharing what you know. It's a huge help for me, that's for sure.

Best to you and let's have a healthy new year!!!

Xantippi
Posted By: donfoo Re: Lemon Drops - 01-21-2014 04:34 AM
Hi Xantippi,

Yes we are indeed close neighbors - I'm on 24 between Oakland and Walnut Creek. Grab a coffee soon.

"I am still doing the background work to determine the efficacy of the various options thrown around as effective to combat post tx tooth decay.
What happens during radiation is the teeth and jawbone become weakened. It is vitally important to take the best care of your teeth and gums to slow and minimize further weakening of the teeth. My understanding is tooth decay caused by radiation hits the teeth along the gum line. So, you really must brush and floss well to keep the teeth free of particulates as well as keep the gums strong and healthy.

Sugar is just plain bad for your teeth so stay away from sugary items, especially candies and such that many folks use as they try to promote saliva or minimize dry mouth.

"I'm not pursuing bone or tissues caused by radiation as there is not as much one can do to slow or alter the progression of ORN and other bone related issues"

Whatever damage is done to the jawbone during radiation is a done deal. From my research there is nothing one can do to minimize the chance of bone related disease down the road. There are those who end up with jawbone replacement and other significant procedures to deal with failed bone issues.

What??? What is ORN and what do you mean by that last sentence? Where can I go to find out more?

ORN stands for Osteoradionecrosis - look at this link on the site.

Good luck,
Don

I have had 35 sessions of radiation specifically in my mouth for AdCC... and now I need to know what to expect with regard to tooth decay and how to deal with serious dental problems.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum