Posted By: Bert Thick oral mucous - 01-29-2008 01:53 PM
Searching for ways to cope with the thick mucous caused by head/neck radiation. Thanks.
Posted By: Markus Re: Thick oral mucous - 01-29-2008 02:04 PM
Bert,
are you still receiving rad treatment, or are you done?

At one point (for about a week) I was taking guaifenesin. I did not think that it helped a lot.... put perhaps it did? In my case the mucous lasted for about 10 days or so. (I am a bit hazy about this time)

Best
M

Posted By: ChristineB Re: Thick oral mucous - 01-29-2008 02:39 PM
Try rinsing your mouth with water/baking soda mixture several times a day. Salt is also supposed to go into the mix but that can burn your mouth. I think its a cup or water to 1 tsp baking soda and 1 tsp salt. Also use robotussin to help with the mucous.
Posted By: davidcpa Re: Thick oral mucous - 01-29-2008 08:47 PM
Bert,

Tell us more about your Tx. See how others have modified their Signature Line to include their History. It's really helpful for us reposters.
Posted By: Alexants Re: Thick oral mucous - 01-29-2008 10:53 PM
Bert, rinse and gargle with salt water works for me. As often as needed.
Posted By: mhupe Re: Thick oral mucous - 01-30-2008 03:10 AM
Bert,

Talk to your medical team about renting a portable suction machine. If it's really bad, that can be a big help!
Posted By: TomK Re: Thick oral mucous - 01-30-2008 10:32 AM
I rinsed with a mixture of baking soda, salt, and water. I made a quart at a time and used it throughout the day and during the night. The ratio I used was 1 quart water, 1 table spoon baking soda, 1 table spoon salt. For some reason this combination did not burn my mouth.
Posted By: davidcpa Re: Thick oral mucous - 01-30-2008 10:48 AM
I kept a small styrofoam cup with me day and night so I could spit the stuff out when I needed to. I even would sometimes put it in my pocket to hide it as need be. YUK YUK AND DOUBLE GROSSED ME OUT but we have to do what we have to do.
Posted By: Anne-Marie Re: Thick oral mucous - 01-30-2008 01:28 PM
No Yuk, David - and good for you for the good idea on taking care of the mucous. For anyone needing to spit, I say Do it! Do it! Do it! smile Your comfort is way more important than whether or not anyone is going to be grossed out. What really grosses me out is seeing someone spit that ugly chewing tobacco juice! Maybe someone needs to design a cute little container for the mucous that says "Cancer Survivor" with a smile on it.
Posted By: davidcpa Re: Thick oral mucous - 01-30-2008 08:52 PM
No then people would want to stop you and talk which is the alst thing you want to do. LOL
Posted By: brenfran25 Re: Thick oral mucous - 01-31-2008 08:41 AM
Denture cup with hinged lid??
Posted By: Anne-Marie Re: Thick oral mucous - 01-31-2008 09:20 AM
Great idea, Brenda!
Posted By: Donnamae Re: Thick oral mucous - 02-18-2008 04:18 PM
The only thing that really helped the ropey mucus and thick saliva was an over the counter mouthwash called BIOTENE. I'm sure you've heard of the product if you're going through treatment. It can be purchased at most drug stores and Target. IF your local drug store doesn't carry the product ask them to order it for you. For me personally, it was the only thing that really helped diminish the mucus and thick ropey saliva.

Sincerely,
Donnamae
Posted By: girlcat36 Re: Thick oral mucous - 02-18-2008 07:14 PM
Biotene, Robitussin, baking soda and salt water rinses all worked pretty good for me.
Posted By: davidcpa Re: Thick oral mucous - 02-18-2008 07:16 PM
Don't get to discouraged if not much works because nothing seemed to make any difference to me and I still survived. LOL
Posted By: Donnarose Re: Thick oral mucous - 02-22-2008 04:15 AM
My mom was given a prescription for tussionex. Within two days she was 95% better, not to mention, the odor was gone.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum