Posted By: Alexants New member here - 09-25-2007 09:36 PM
I'm Tom Alexander, 52 y.o. male, recently diagnosed with squamous cell carcinoma. This started as sore throat and lump on the side of my neck and now I have had my "prep" surgery, installation of a tube into my stomach for liquid nutrition and a port to accept chemo drugs. I really don't know anything about what stage I'm at or any more details, but the dr says I'm to start both radiation and chemo shortly. So I just wanted to introduce myself. Fortunately I am surrounded by family and friends who are all being just as supportive as possible, so it's not like I have to face this all alone.
Posted By: William Dozier Re: New member here - 09-25-2007 10:11 PM
Hi Tom,

Sorry you have to check in here on the one hand but good to see you here otherwise. You will find this forum to be quite valuable to you as you begin your journey. It is so helpful in many ways and never feel strange in asking any question on your mind. I didn't find the site until I was about a month out of treatment last year. You will find many folks quick and eager to respond to any thoughts, concerns or questions you may have.

Exactly where is the cancer situated in your case? Base of tongue, lateral tongue, tonsils, etc.?
Posted By: blc6571 Re: New member here - 09-25-2007 11:24 PM
Hi Tom

Welcome to this site. You and your family and friends will find alot of information on here to help with all that you may come up against in your fight. It seems like when you first find out that things run 24/7 and you dont have time to really take in all that is happening. But once you get your plan of action down and started you feel much better.
Posted By: August Re: New member here - 09-26-2007 01:57 AM
Welcome, Tom...Sorry you have to be here, but you are at the right place. Thank goodness you have family and friends around you. Share with them at every stage. Don't decide that you have "burdened them enough." That's when you begin to hide from them and try to carry too much by yourself and rob from them the privilege of giving of themselves to you. AND don't stop coming here. Nobody really understands your situation as well as someone who has gone through it. Welcome. I hope you find answers and comfort here.
Posted By: Cookey Re: New member here - 09-26-2007 07:23 AM
Hi Tom and welcome to OCF.Hope all goes well and you dont need us too much

liz
Posted By: Dr. Mike Re: New member here - 09-26-2007 05:20 PM
Tom,

You have found the right place to hang out and have almost any question or concern answered. All of the people here are wonderful, caring and full of information. You just have to ask.
My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

E-mail or PM me anytime if you feel the need.

Cheers,

Mike
Posted By: Alexants Re: New member here - 09-26-2007 09:19 PM
THANKS EVERYONE FOR THE WARM WELCOME. I learned today that I'll (we'll, because my wife will join me of course) go in for first oncologist exam/evaluation on Monday and will hopefully lay out out a plan of action. Will keep everyone posted here. THANK YOU ALL AGAIN!!
Posted By: JAM Re: New member here - 09-26-2007 10:06 PM
Hey Tom and Wife! Be sure you take along a notebook on Monday and someone needs to write down everything you hear. From this point forward, you will need to have a good handle on all the "lingo" [ie-foreign language being spoken to you unless you are in the medical field] At 1st, you may not understand 1 in 3 terms, but you can always ask here and soon, you will become fairly conversant- at which point you will have alot more questions eek Those of us[patients and caregivers] who have been through or are going through this can give you lots of help and info along the way. You will find this to be a very supportive family along with your own. Amy in the Ozarks
Posted By: Dr. Mike Re: New member here - 09-26-2007 10:24 PM
Tom,

What she said!!
I agree 100% with Amy.
My sense of humor basically states it this way; Ask your wife, she's probably more than willing too so, make is not a good term, your official scribe.
Before appointment: write down any concerns and/or questions you have about anything even the hospital menu.
During appointment: take short notes of all points the Dr. makes. Don't be afraid to ask him/her to slow down, back up or clarify anything you are not certain of. Your lovely scri...I mean wife can record it. She too can ask any questions she wants.
After: Go for a nice long walk together, hold hands and laugh (leave your notes at home).
Then go over all that you have written and discuss the situation. Then write down any new questions that come to mind.
My advice from my personal experience with my treatment is, never be alone when the doctors visit you...and have someone taking notes.

My experience as a cancer patient was that I had 1000 questions to ask but, once the Dr. came in the room it was like a fishbowl was put over my head. I didn't remember, hear or comprhend anything let alone understand.

Your doctors are used to this and should welcome your efforts.

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family Tom.

Mike
Posted By: lee33 Re: New member here - 09-29-2007 08:00 PM
Welcome to the forum Tom. We hope we can you get through this. Let us know your Dx as soon as you can.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum