Posted By: Chuckles SCC base of tongue - 04-18-2022 02:56 AM
Just joined the group. 17 radiation treatments in. Lost my taste, dry mouth and looking for ideas on what to eat. Tongue burns and I 'm pretty much on scrambled eggs and boost. Thanks for any advice, Chuck
Posted By: Paan Re: SCC base of tongue - 04-18-2022 04:18 AM
Hello Chuck,welcome to the group you have come to right place for knowledge and support, I am guessing you don't have feeding tube if you go to currently under treatment section you will find some ideas in my case I had feeding tube so I maintained weight pretty good,try to maintain weigh and rinse with baking soda and salt I did upto 10 times or more a day ,read as many posts as you can that will help you a lot.good luck
Posted By: Nels Re: SCC base of tongue - 04-21-2022 06:16 PM
Chuckles

Congratulations on making it this far. I went thru surgery and radiation about 2 years ago. The list of what tastes OK, as you already found out, gets pretty short. A couple ideas - try simple puddings such as vanilla or chocolate, green beans tasted normal all the way thru, french toast, pancakes, simple soups, soft bread with butter, jello. Try blending things with a vitamix or similar. I would dump an avacado, protien drink or mix, in with vanilla ice cream, bland fruit (mango, banana, etc) and milk/almond milk, to try and jam some calories in there.

Track your calories. Force the min 2,000/day. Stay active (walking, yoga, biking, etc) if you can. It will help your recovery. Food/flavors get worse all the way up to about 2 weeks after your last treatment. But, the good news is, it starts to get better after that. I am still finding foods nearly 2 years later that are returning. Most food taste good again.

Sending you prayers and good vibes.

Nels
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum