Posted By: Darlene3 Newbie here - 06-04-2021 04:19 PM
Hello,

My husband was diagnosed with Stage IV SCC- we are getting ready to start chemo and rad therapy on Monday. He had a hemiglossectomy and bilateral dissection done 4/7. Post op infection surgery in 4/20 with wound vac. His first peg failed and still has an NG tube hoping the 2nd peg is good to go today. I know he has a long road ahead of him- joined in hopes to become the best caregiver I can be for him.
Posted By: gmcraft Re: Newbie here - 06-04-2021 06:36 PM
Darlene,

I’m sorry about the situation you and your husband find yourselves in. There are many members here who have been on the cancer journey. Ask questions if you’re not sure about anything. There’s a good chance that someone will have an answer for you. Wishing you the best!
Posted By: Nels Re: Newbie here - 06-07-2021 07:13 PM
Darlene

Welcome to the group. The best suggestion I got was to take notes and journal. I went thru very similar as your husband. Getting my thoughts on paper gave me peace. Plus, i would keep a medical journal so i could get all my questions answered and keep track of my treatments and improvements.

At one point, I made up a matrix of recovery tasks (medicine, food, faith, meditation, sleep, exercise, etc). I would score myself every day on the different activities and give myself a treat for high scores. Kept me busy and feeling like i was making progress.

This group has been wonderful and helpful for me. Please ask whatever is on your minds.

Best
Nels
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum