Posted By: Scaredmomof2 Hello I’m Helen - 05-01-2021 07:00 PM
Hi there,
I am 49 years old. Non smoker and have maybe 8 drinks a year. I’m here because I am in the process of determining what is wrong in my mouth and have been reading your posts as a source of information and inspiration.

Two weeks ago I noticed some strange skin texture on my neck and chin so I took a flashlight to my mouth. I noticed a white spot directly above where I have had a lump in the floor of my mouth for years. I showed my dentist during a visit and he sent me for a CBCT. The CBCT found that a tooth near the lump is showing a bit of external resorption. My tonsil on the same side is enlarged. (I went to my family dr who blew me off. )

In the meantime I noticed one of my teeth (near lump) is loose but that wasn’t picked up on the scan. My Buccal skin in the same area is lumpy and swollen. Of course I’m terrified that this is cancer that has spread and I’m on borrowed time.
As mother of two young children I’m thinking the worst and that I don’t want to die and leave them.

I’m going to have a biopsy next week and wonder if I should push for a CT or MRI? I’m not sure how aggressive these cancers can be and wonder if I should just demand scans ASAP.

Thanks for reading. Any words of wisdom or support are appreciated!
Posted By: tlc356 Re: Hello I’m Helen - 05-03-2021 12:37 PM
Can you get an appointment at a cancer center? I see one at http://cancercaresoutheast.ca/, but if its not near you there are more in Ontario. You may or may not have a problem and if you do and its cancer, your best solution will be a cancer center.
Posted By: gmcraft Re: Hello I’m Helen - 05-03-2021 02:38 PM
After the biopsy, the docs should be able to tell with certainty whether you have cancer or not. At that point they will refer you to an oncologist at your nearest hospital. If you are in Toronto, you can ask to be referred to Princess Margaret Hospital. I believe that the wait time from diagnosis to first appointment is six weeks in the province.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum