Posted By: SarahHaller Scared. 3rd Times a Charm, Right? - 04-28-2021 10:56 PM
Hi,
I'm new to this support group but not new to HPV Negative Oral Tongue Cancer. I was 36 when I was first diagnosed April 20, 2018. I'm a non-drinker, non-smoker, Organic eating, Ultra runner. I live a beautiful life with my husband and 2 great girls 12 & 14.

I've been SO FRUSTRATED on this cancer journey where no one has taken me seriously. Doctors and dentists said I had burning mouth syndrome. After I lost my hearing I was finally sent to an ENT.

Anyways finally a biopsy revealed Invasive SCC, tongue and floor of mouth, 2nd reoccurrence July 2018. Celebrated 2 years Cancer Free this summer only to have it coming back for Round 3.

I'm being sent on to MD Anderson. I guess I'm on here seeking Hope. My end goal is to get my girls raised to graduate High School. Are there any younger 3+ Reoccurrence long term survivors willing to share their experiences? Advice? Thoughts? Inspiration?
Thanks in Advance,
Sarah Haller
Posted By: sue31371 Re: Scared. 3rd Times a Charm, Right? - 04-29-2021 03:43 AM
Hi Sarah

Just wanted to say I am sorry you are going through this. Mine (initially inner cheek) is just as aggressive. Came back at 3 months, then surgery, rads/chemo. Two months later, in lymph nodes. Waiting on next steps now. Just thought it might help for you to know I am in the same boat. Best of luck and write amytime.
Posted By: tlc356 Re: Scared. 3rd Times a Charm, Right? - 04-29-2021 11:41 AM
You're in the right hands now so 3rd time will hopefully be a charm.

My first surgery was 2003 and last 2015. I've seen my grandkids graduate from high school, the oldest one college and hopefully you'll be able to do the same.
Posted By: Grammylife Re: Scared. 3rd Times a Charm, Right? - 12-21-2022 06:02 AM
Sarah,
So sorry you’re going through this at your age. I was diagnosed in February 2016; surgery in April 2016; chemo & radiation. Mine came back in January 2019. My doctor gave me <20% chance so I went to MD Anderson in Jacksonville, FL. They are phenomenal! You’re in good hands now! They told me they would CURE me. Imagine hearing that! I’m 2 1/2 years cancer free & there are many people on this forum who are 12-year survivors. Best of luck to you! 🙏🏻
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum