Posted By: Niccole My Mom's Glossectomy ... - 05-14-2020 10:26 PM
Hello,

My mother has a total glossectomy 2 weeks ago. The flap is currently stitched to her bottom gums. Will the surgeon remove the stitches at the post op appointment or will that be a permanent thing?

Thank you!
Posted By: DavidUofMsavedMe Re: My Mom's Glossectomy ... - 05-15-2020 11:42 PM
It's possible the stitches are the type that fall out on their own after enough time goes by. Mine were like that, but that was for a partial glossectomy. The answer to your question might be located in your mom's discharge papers.
Posted By: ChristineB Re: My Mom's Glossectomy ... - 05-16-2020 10:47 AM
Welcome to OCF, Niccole!

There have been many members having a similar procedure as your mother recently had. Some patients have their tongue (sometimes transplanted tissue becomes a new tongue) pretty much tethered down to keep it from moving very much as it heals. The patients who have their tongue tethered down to the floor of their mouths often will have the tether removed later, sometimes it happens a year later. Other patients have their stitches removed a few weeks at their post-op check up. There are a great many factors taken into account when this type of surgery takes place. Even your mothers overall general health plays a role in the surgeon determining what happens next. Frequently patients and their caregivers hear this phrase... everybody's different! It really is true! Take a few patients who on paper appear almost identical, theres always something different that factors into the mix. Each patient will have their own individual reaction to medications, procedures, illnesses, etc.

Best wishes to your mother for a speedy recovery!!!
Posted By: Dizz_zzey Re: My Mom's Glossectomy ... - 05-20-2020 07:51 PM
Hi Niccole,

I'm sorry to hear about your Mum's total glossectomy. I had mine in August last year. My stitches in my mouth dissolved over time. It was a relief when the ones in my lip disappeared!
I can't remember how long it took, but I do remember that when the swelling started to die down, some of the stitches tickled me. It didn't last too long though.

I hope your Mum and yourself are doing OK
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum