Posted By: chutist747 FNG Here - 03-28-2020 02:42 PM
FNG (friggin' new guy) here. I am post-op for SCC in the right tonsil. Tumor (stage 2, borderline stage 3) was removed by laser with good, but small margins and a neck dissection was also performed. 2 lymph nodes showed microscopic traces of cancer. I was hoping to avoid radiation, but the ENT is now recommending it.....awaiting his referral to a radiation oncologist. I am on the fence as to radiation, so I am going to wander over to the treatment forum for some insight. Cheers!
Posted By: ChristineB Re: FNG Here - 03-29-2020 12:56 AM
Welcome to OCF, chutist747! Sorry you have a need for our group! At the same time, its a very good thing you found us to help get you thru some upcoming difficult days. As a group of patients and caregivers, we have a different viewpoint than medical professionals, we've experienced oral cancer (OC) first hand.

Best wishes with your continued recovery.

Hang in there!
Posted By: tlc356 Re: FNG Here - 03-29-2020 01:22 PM
Anything short of clean margins needs to be eliminated-that's my view of things.

If you look at the websites for some of the major cancer institutions I think you'll find a way to get an on-line second opinion. I believe I posted one in the general category for Dana-Farber Cancer Institute. If you can't find it or need more send me a private message.
Posted By: Kevster Re: FNG Here - 03-29-2020 08:49 PM
I sympathize with you. Started radiation following my surgery, and I too was desperately hoping to avoid radiation, which comes with nasty side effects. But the doctors would not have recommended it if they felt it would not significantly reduce your odds of recurrence. And I think it’s the same situation for you. It only takes one stray cancer cell to start multiplying and then you have have a recurrence, which means maybe another surgery and then definitely radiation. Recurrence is the worst possible outcome, worse than radiation. I would take the advice of the doctor.
Posted By: Kevster Re: FNG Here - 03-29-2020 08:49 PM
I should add that I’m in radiation currently
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum