Posted By: Jason77 New to the Forum, 7 weeks post treatme - 03-02-2020 01:02 AM
Hi all!
So far I have learnedl a lot just reading others post.
I thought it was time to make my first post.

8/16/19 Diagnosed with LASCC BOT HPV 16 + T2N2
8 teeth extracted , port and PEG placement
September 2019 started TPF induction chemo x 3 treatments.
11/25/19 started chemo/radiation cisplatin weekly, 33 RADS.
COMPLETED treatments 1/13/2020.

I am 7 weeks post treatment and I still have mucositis from my mid palate to the uvula and beyond. I am In the dry mouth phase and no longer have the choking, thick mucus. I am totally dependent on the peg for nutrition and hydration. In the last 2 weeks I have been able to take my medication by mouth and no longer carry a "spit bottle" around. I pretty much have to use my numbing mouthwash prior to swallowing anything except my own saliva.
My Rad doc feels I'm healing a little slower than normal. I know everyone has a different experience, but I am discouraged at my progress so far with eating and drinking. As I read through some of the posts on this forum, it seems there is a wide range in healing after radiation.
Posted By: gmcraft Re: New to the Forum, 7 weeks post treatme - 03-02-2020 01:47 AM
Welcome to the forum! It’s most encouraging that you have completed your treatment (the most difficult part of the cancer journey). From what you have said, you actually seem to me to be doing quite well despite what your doctor feels. I can remember my husband at the same point was still plagued by dry mouth, unable to swallow and was walking around with a spit cup. So, don’t feel discouraged and give yourself a pat on the back for coming through a grueling time.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum