Posted By: Bob B. 2 Year Anniversary - 01-09-2019 11:57 PM
I've been reading this site since shortly after my surgery (2 years ago). I was diagnosed with SCC of the mouth and tongue in Dec. 2016. Surgery involved removal of oral tongue, pec flap on floor of mouth, lymph nodes, trach, PEG. Spent 7 days in hospital. Went through the usual 6 wks rad/chemo. PEG failed at the end of that and I decided to have it removed. Had to learn how to eat without a tongue, but soon was eating about anything I wanted. Head and neck is cancer free, but it did move into the lungs. Did a year on Opdivo and had a couple more sessions of rad. Had to go on chemo (Taxol) last fall as things weren't stabilizing. Thing have improved a bit since and not sure what happens after my next treatment. Probably a scan and more decisions. My oncologist left the hospital 2 months ago and the replacement is spread thin (havent even met him yet). I know some of you have been through worse and some are just getting started. I wish you all well, and hang in there. Bob B.
Posted By: gmcraft Re: 2 Year Anniversary - 01-10-2019 05:28 PM
Welcome to the forum. Head and neck cancer treatment is a grueling journey. My husband had oropharyngeal SSC and was in a phase 1 trial for PDL1 (which is market as Opdivo now). It is comforting to hear that others are being helped by the drug. John’s trial took place in the spring of 2015, so it’s only been three years and a bit. It’s encouraging to know that researchers are always coming up with new medications /treatments for cancer, so hang in there as you never know what new treatment is around the corner.

Do check in or post to let us know how you’re getting on. I’m sure many patients would learn from your experience.
Posted By: Bob B. Re: 2 Year Anniversary - 01-10-2019 06:29 PM
Thanks for your kind response. I will post updates as I learn more about my situation.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum