Posted By: Pedro Hello Newcomer - 09-10-2013 09:28 AM
Hi
I am 55 years old and have just had 2 operations and have had 1/2 of my tongue removed.
This the first time I have ever used a forum to discuss my anxiety's , today I was supposed to have my first radiation treatment , what a disaster to say the least.
I could not stand putting the tongue depresser with a cut off 15mm barrell from a syringe for breathing my mouth and then putting on the mask, I ended up a little upset and left without any treatment taking place.

I am going to try again tomorrow , but after reading so much , I can't understand why I have to use the tongue depresser , hoping my RO will not make me use it after seeing him before the treatment takes place, the wonderful nurses are recommending some medication to calm me down.

This is a great site and I hope to get strength for you other users, just writing this post is helping.

Best wishes to all.

Posted By: samkl Re: Hello Newcomer - 09-10-2013 11:35 AM
Hi Pedro, I'm sorry you're going through this. Like many others, my brother found the mask and the locking down for radiation very traumatic. He was greatly helped by anti-anxiety meds during treatment and I would strongly recommend you follow your medical advisors if they suggest the same. You must have the radiation, and medication will help make it tolerable. Very best wishes to you. Linda
Posted By: PaulB Re: Hello Newcomer - 09-10-2013 11:37 AM
Welcome, but sorry that you had to join. Before cancer, I never went to any support group, FB, and didn't join one until a year after cancer in 2010, and here just a year ago, which makes all the difference since I felt like the lone ranger, and didn't know or speak to anyone about my type of cancer, which is tonsil or oropharyngeal cancer. It's good to do so, and hear all the different input, support, and up to date medical news, procedures.

You're not the only one who had difficulty with the mask. Some take anxiety pills to help. I didn't, but not saying I couldn't use them, but the pain pills I was taking helped. If I didn't have cancer, I would have went for a stiff drink right afterwards lol. Some play music or can bring your own cd disk to play, some meditate, use visualization. I counted my zaps to keep track, know when I was nearly finished. Whatever helps get you by use it. It does get easier after a while. I kept a wall calendar at home, and after each day put a big X in the box, which somehow help get me through.

The tongue depressor is used to keep your tongue immobile since you are getting the most radiation in your mouth, so it doesn't interfere with the radiation direction or keep zapping your tongue.

Good luck.

Posted By: ChristineB Re: Hello Newcomer - 09-10-2013 12:00 PM
Welcome to OCF, Pedro! Im glad you have found our forum to help get you thru these rough couple months. We will help you with both medical info and also moral support. Everyone can use a hand while going thru this. It can be overwhelming to say the least. Many will end up taking anxiety meds or seeking out a therapist to talk with to help get thru it. Even some caregivers need those things too. Its nothing to be ashamed of. We all understand and have been in your situation so we do know how bad it really is and what you are going thru.

Wishing you all the very best with todays treatment.
Posted By: Mamacita Re: Hello Newcomer - 09-10-2013 07:21 PM
Hi Pedro, I had my first radiation treatment a week ago. Taking an anti-anx med definitely helped -- for starters, I didn't have to worry about panicking. I decided to take the med for the first week, even if I thought I didn't need it. I forgot to take it Friday and surprised myself by being okay.

Another thing I think about is how many people here -- amazing people -- have been through it.

You can also ask the techs to talk and give you updates on how long, that thing's are going great, etc.
Posted By: Pedro Re: Hello Newcomer - 09-11-2013 09:49 AM
Hi Mamacita. I had anti-anx med and went through it ok this afternoon . My RO explained to me this is a common anx a lot of people go through and not to stress there was always plans
Thanks for your reply, it was amazing and up lifting today when a lovely little old lady noticed my apparant nervous apprehension and said hello " is this your first time" in a matter of minutes everyone joined in for chat / smile or just a g'day . it was like being welcomed to special club.
When it was my turn ,a reassuring good luck from my new mates and 20 minutes later all over red rover.
Posted By: Pedro Re: Hello Newcomer - 09-11-2013 10:15 AM
Hi ChristineB, thanks for reply and offered support, after talking to my RO this morning and having Anti-anx meds did help,the biggest boast today came from others having treatment today. Especially the little old lady ( her son said she was 85) she smiled said hello , it will be ok boy and then everyone else waiting joined , it's amazing how people can bond so quickly and support each other.
So I have now had my first successful treatment, the journey is now started.
Cheers thanks for your kind words
Posted By: Kris Re: Hello Newcomer - 09-11-2013 05:10 PM
Pedro, good luck on your journey. The mask and radiation was the hardest part for me to overcome, too. Afterwards they asked if I wanted the mask to take home and I said no way! Now I wished I would have kept it and used it for target practice! It has been over 11 years since I walked your path. You can make it too! Prayers and love, Kris
Posted By: Hockeydad Re: Hello Newcomer - 09-11-2013 06:18 PM
Great news. The mask is scary, so is the giant rotating ring that buzzes. But now you have been thru it, it does get easier. Its a long 15 min and there is not much you can do. I tried counting the zaps. However even after 35 trys, I lost count every time. I still don't know how many there were.

Now that you started, promise your self you will finish. Yes it is important.
Posted By: ngk Re: Hello Newcomer - 09-11-2013 06:50 PM
Glad you have such friendly people there surrounding you. I'm in my second week and listen to music. They have sound system and i just stick my iphone in there.Three songs...and treatment is over. The music is very very helpful to me. I had so many problems with my tongue depressor during simulation, so...I took it home and practiced unti I was able to get used to it while breathing calmly through my nose, while listening to my favorite music. Maybe this could help you....?
Best of wishes to you Pedro.
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Hello Newcomer - 09-11-2013 09:52 PM
Glad to hear you have gotten thru your first one. It wont be so intimidating after this first one. Having the support of others going thru treatment with you is important. I had 2 older gentlemen pals who would save me a seat every day and check up on me to make sure I was eating and not still losing weight. Those guys were the best!

We will be here when you need us so feel free to ask questions. I suggest you read and educate yourself so you can be an informed patient and advocate for yourself if you need to.

Best wishes!!!

PS... Check your messages. Take a look towards the middle of the top by where it says My Stuff. You should see a tiny flashing envelope, click on it and review the link I sent you. Its important to add a signature and the link give detailed instructions along with other helpful info.
Posted By: JamesD Re: Hello Newcomer - 09-11-2013 09:54 PM
Stay on the journey Pedro. That mask makes you feel helpless the first time. I wept a little and prayed the first time. I then learned to manage my breathing and closed my eyes. It actually became a good routine for thinking through life's issues. I was without issue for 34 of 35 treatments one time new meds gave me shortness of breath. The team on site was helpful and a change in meds fixed that. We are here for you.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum