Posted By: Pandora99 It's baaaaaacccckkkk....... - 09-24-2007 07:18 PM
Saw the oncologist surgeon today and found out that the cancer has recurred on what used to be the "good" side of my tongue. Surgery will occur between 2-4 weeks - need to coordinate with the plastics people. I'm coping. Wish I could say "I'm Okay", but for friends and family I feel I need to be stronger than I really am. This totally sucks. Surgeon says that the area this time is smaller, replacement tongue will likely come from my arm instead of my thigh, and that re-radiation and other decisions will be made as needed as we know more. I am working very hard on maintaining some sense of ?? sensibility?? and not totally Loosing It like I did when I was diagnosed before. They have given me morphine in pill form, so far it hasn't removed the pain entirely. I got back and see them again on Thursday.

Keep me in your prayers. Thanks to all.

Donna
Posted By: Carol L Re: It's baaaaaacccckkkk....... - 09-24-2007 08:51 PM
Donna, I am sorry to read about your recurrence on the good side of your tongue. That is what I always refer to mine as, too. You are in my thoughts and prayers, please let us know how things are going....Carol
Posted By: mhupe Re: It's baaaaaacccckkkk....... - 09-24-2007 08:56 PM
Donna,

I am so sorry that you have to battle this beast twice. I agree with you, it does "totally suck". You will be in my thoughts and prayers as well.
Posted By: sharlee Re: It's baaaaaacccckkkk....... - 09-24-2007 10:32 PM
Donna

SOOO SOOO sorry to hear..I cant even imagine hearing those words again ..Please know that you are in my heart and thoughts,,

Shar
Posted By: JAM Re: It's baaaaaacccckkkk....... - 09-24-2007 10:50 PM
Hi, Donna, just want you to remember that you are now a part of an incredibly strong group of people who have, or, at present, are facing this beast for another battle. Whether patient or caregiver, this was not a choice any of us wanted to face. But, the strenght, guts and sheer determination of the folks in this group is overwhelming. So gobble it up, internalize it and hold hands here. You are in the midst of company who care. Amy in the Ozarks
Posted By: for2or6 Re: It's baaaaaacccckkkk....... - 09-25-2007 12:06 AM
Hi Donna,

You are definitely in my thoughts and prayers. I am still waiting for the pathology report from my biopsy last week. 2 times it has come back inconclusive but does show atypical cell dysplasia. I, too, never wanted to hear those words again but am gearing up for a second round. It is hard to stay "up" for family and friends (especially kids) mine are 22, 18 and 16 and very frightened right now. I'm taking my mind off of the waiting by concentrating on my classes (I just returned to college this fall after 25 years) I guess I thought it was "safe" to plan for the future. It's hard to stay positive, but try. At least you have a plan started and know somewhat the direction you are going in - you have something to focus on. Please know I'm thinking of you.

Pam
Posted By: minniea Re: It's baaaaaacccckkkk....... - 09-25-2007 06:22 AM
Donna,
You and I are walking the same road so we may as well enjoy each others company. On this thread, there are others along the road with us. Hey, let's call it the Yellow Brick Road! Ok, not so funny.
Seriously Donna, here is my outlook on it all. It is what it is. We can't change it, we can't hide from it, we have to face it squarely. It can be done, as has been proven by the many "two timers" on this board and we just have to set our minds to the fact that we will endure this and move on with our lives.

Let me know if I can help in any way.

Love,
Minnie
Posted By: for2or6 Re: It's baaaaaacccckkkk....... - 09-25-2007 08:58 AM
Minnie,

Very wise words from a wise, brave woman. You're right, I've been telling myself the past several days - it is what it is - let's take care of it a 2nd time. I'm sorry you guys are on this road with me, but we can move on down it successfully, I believe. You too let me know if I can help.

Love,

Pam
Posted By: Cookey Re: It's baaaaaacccckkkk....... - 09-26-2007 02:29 AM
Goood luck Donna xx
Posted By: misskate Re: It's baaaaaacccckkkk....... - 09-26-2007 05:44 PM
Hi Donna,

I'm so so sorry to hear of your reoccurance. I recently had a total glossectomy March 2nd. I finished treatment in may and I'm doing well now.
It has ben difficult but I eat most everything and my speech is coming along. It has been a VERY difficult adjustment but I am at peace with how things have turned out. I hope that mine never comes back.

Your life will get better. the important thing is that they get all of the cancer OUT and you get the neccesary treatments to make sure it never ever comes back.

Hang in there and just put one foot in front of the other. I hope you aren't in too much pain.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Kate
Posted By: flafunchick Re: It's baaaaaacccckkkk....... - 09-26-2007 09:42 PM
I just had the second third of the other side of my tongue removed. It happened so quickly - diagnosed one week and then surgery the next -and also the neck dissection. It's been a few weeks since surgery and I just can't get my energy back. I work in a call center only after a few months of being bumped out of twenty years working at Citigroup. I am trying to remain positive but feel sad and so, so tired all the time. I'm going to get my blood and thyroid tested but who knows why I'm so exhausted. I only wish you the best in your next endeavor. It seems that each person has wonderful underlying strengths that they didn't know were there. Let me know if you'd ever like to talk..
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum